Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-31-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
THW

What Kind of Thinset

6x6 porcelain tiles in a mud shower pan and bathroom floor OSB/Redguard
6x6 ceramic tile on wonderboard walls with a thin layer of mortar
(both already prepared by contractor)
I read on the package, Redguard calls for modified thinset. As the whole bathroom is very small, I think I can get away with one bag. Can I use the modified thinset for all surfaces mentioned above?
Thanks for an answer!
Unread 12-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
Kman

A lot depends on what is available to you in your area. There are a number of them that meet the specs for your installation, too many to list.

If we know what you have access to, we can tell you which are the good ones and which ones to stay away from.

Is there a Lowe's and/or Home Depot in your area? If so, Look on the Lowe's website for your store and see what brands they stock.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
THW

Home Depot, as well as some specialized flooring companies that sell tiles. Not sure what brands they have, just wondered if I can use modified on all three places (wall, floor, shower floor).
Unread 12-31-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You can use a modified, unless the modifier is a latex based, anywhere in a conventional shower. There are only a few manufacturers that suggest otherwise, and that's primarily related to the use of Kerdi from Schluter. And, even they allow a modified, as long as it's not a latex based thinset, but much prefer you use one of theirs that they know will work. Finding out the type of modifier can take some close reading of the manufacturer's MDS (material data sheet).

Some modifiers can turn to a soft goo when used in a constantly wet environment. Those that cure, tend to stay stable afterwards. Latex ones need to dry, but can be reversed if constantly wetted again.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
rmckee84

Yes, you can. I must ask though, what part of the install is osb covered with redgard?
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
THW

The floor outside the shower is OSB and will be covered with Redgard.
Unread 12-31-2019, 05:05 PM   #7
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion
6x6 porcelain tiles in a mud shower pan and bathroom floor OSB/Redguard
6x6 ceramic tile on wonderboard walls with a thin layer of mortar
Upon first read, it looks like just the bathroom floor which is covered with Redgard. But it depends on how you read that first sentence.

Marion, maybe you could break that part down in separate lines for each part so we can make sure we understand what you've got going on.

Unread 12-31-2019, 05:07 PM   #8
Kman

Ok, so apparently you answered while I was typing.

So, I think everybody's answers will stay the same.

Unread 12-31-2019, 09:38 PM   #9
THW

Thank you!
Unread 01-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #10
THW

Glass Block Shower Project

Project: Remodel master bathroom in a rented house
Removed fiberglass shower stall and adjacent useless space to make room for a walk-in shower with glass block division (kit from Seattle Glass Block) and line drain on a short side.
Landlord hired contractor to build shower tile-ready and pays for material, I am going to install tiles (6x6 porcelain on the floor, 6x6 ceramic on walls).
My background: informal hands-on training by an old mason many years ago and finished several tile projects, albeit in Europe with different substrates and products. This is my first shower.
Current state: GC built a mud pan with pre-slope, liner, etc., and waterproofed walls with Wonderboard. As far as I can tell from reading in this forum and looking over his shoulder, he did it correctly, but not pretty. The single slope to the line drain appears to be sloped well, but there are humps and bumps that I will have to make up for when installing tiles. He applied a thin layer of mortar to the walls and curb with a notched trowel and calls it "scratch coat". Says it would make installing tiles easier for me. My pre-fabricated foam niche was the perfect size for my tiles, but with the hard mortar they don't fit any more.

Here comes the questions:
1. How thick can I use thinset to make up for uneven substrate?
2. Should I remove the mortar from the niche, or cut the tiles to fit?
3. Is his "scratch coat" thing ok? I think it will make it harder to apply thinset to a rough surface.
Unread 01-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Marion.

I've combined a couple threads you started on this project so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. I left out the one about the smell of the initial installation products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion
Current state: GC built a mud pan with pre-slope, liner, etc., and waterproofed walls with Wonderboard.
One cannot "waterproof walls with Wonderboard." Wonderboard is not waterproof. Indeed, amongst the various CBUs, Wonderboard allows water to pass through it more rapidly than most. That is not a bad thing, just points out the need for waterproofing more clearly. I'm hoping that your walls have actually been waterproofed with something over the Wonderboard, such as maybe the RedGard you indicate was used over the OSB bathroom subfloor.

I'm also curious specifically what linear drain was used with the traditional mud/liner/mud receptor construction.

1. Technically, none at all. The thinset mortar is designed for bonding the tiles. All flattening and leveling of the substrate needs to be done prior to the tile installation.

2. I dunno. That would depend upon your intended tile layout and whether that fits with your niche installation. It's quite common to cut the wall tiles to fit the niches, or to use a completely different tile in the niches, or whatever else the project designer has in mind. You can do any or all the above.

3. Probably not. This "scratch coat" was applied over the Wonderboard surface? If so, of what material is the scratch coat and just how rough is it? Was the purpose to correct for uneven wallboard installation?

Let's start there.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

You're in a bit of a spot because you have someone else doing the prep work and it doesn't sound like the prep work is tile ready. Also, I don't understand what this scratch coat is but I'm pretty sure it's not correct.

Photos would be helpful.

Curious how the new Delta Cruzer tile saw stacks up against Dewalt? Check out the full review and video on DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #13
THW

Here is a photo in the process. The blue planks are actually the old siding of the house, before it was extended. The black stuff is some sort of cloth, I asked contractor what the name was and he didn't remember. Then the Wonderboard. covered by the "scratch coat". I don't know how he made the seams, as that happened while I was at work. He said the scratch coat was the same mortar used for the shower pan. He said it would make the tiles stick better. He applied it with a fine notched trowel on the walls, and on the curb with a wider notch, maybe 1/4, which makes it really rough.
I texted him this morning: "What product did you use for waterproofing the walls?". No answer. I am not going to start tile installation until I know it is okay to do so.

THE PHOTO IS 90 DEGREE ROTATED!
Attached Images

Unread 01-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #14
THW

Kelly, the linear drain is this one: https://novalineashop.com/shop?olsPa...ucts%2Fsquares
Unread 01-02-2020, 09:21 PM   #15
THW

Another one.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase