Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 01-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
DearMrsRobinson

Cleaning Split Face Travertine

We did a complete remodel in our Master Bath. My DH came up with the beautiful idea to use split face travertine (large 'bricks' roughly 4x8?) to cover the 3 largest walls in the bathroom, including the shower walls. We sealed the tile very well (511 impregnator) and I do my best to keep it clean, although it is a beast to clean. However, 8 months later, we are of course getting mildew (I am not saying I told him so, just typing it!). So now what can I do? I was thinking of possibly using my garment steamer to see if that will help. I am not sure what I can and can't use on the travertine, I have been using 511 Tile & Stone cleaner with a scrubber brush thing. Any how, I am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction, it isn't bad but I know it is bound to get worse if I don't do something now. Thanks ahead of time for any help!
Unread 01-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dear. Please change that permanent signature line to a first name for us to use.

I can't help with the short term cleaning question, but the best thing you can do long term to prevent the growth of mold is to install a properly sized exhaust fan in that bathroom and use it adequately to keep the place dry.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, and also keep the shower door open when not in use. Even a few inches will help.

I have used Krud Kutter several times on marble and it doesn't hurt it. You might want to test a small area just to be sure. It is a pretty strong cleaner, not sure if it's strong enough to remove the mold. You might do a search for a 'drill brush" Hook it to a cordless drill and scrub away. I like mine.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase