Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 05-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
carolyn_haack

Putting Oil Sealer on top of Water based Sealer-Saltillo

Good Afternoon!

I'm a complete and utter tile Newbie, but I asked my contractor to have my porch tile (Saltillo) Oil Sealed as I prefer that look.

Unfortunately, there was an error made, and the tile installer used a Water based Sealer for the initial coat.

Can a switch be made to an Oil Based sealer now, or are those tiles "ruined"?

Any advice you can offer is appreciated!
Unread 05-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Can you tell us what type of sealer it was,i.e. a topical,or impregnating?Is the tile shiny now?Is this area open to rain?

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Carolyn, Welcome!

Dave has some very pertinent questions.

If a water based impregnating sealer was used, there is no problem going over it with a solvent based impregnating sealer.

Either way your tiles aren't ruined, but they may need to be stripped if a water based topical sealer was used, and you want to change that coating to another product.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
carolyn_haack

Thank you both!

The sealer was an impregnating sealer. The area is partially open to rain (covered porch, and then an open landing).

I had read somewhere that using an oil based sealer over a water based sealer led to greasy spots on the tiles and to flaking, and was concerned.

The tile is not shiny, as the oil based sealer is also impregnating.

Last edited by carolyn_haack; 05-25-2012 at 04:02 AM. Reason: typos
carolyn_haack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

There may be some confusion.An oil based impregnating sealer is not an oil finish sealer.Although you can do it that way,just an impregnating sealer on tiles that get rain is a good idea.

The oil based sealer is a concoction of boiled linseed oil and a thinner usually turpentine,then it's usually waxed.This isn't a good setup for tiles exposed to rain.Neither is a topical sealer.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
carolyn_haack

Dave,

Thanks! What would you recommend for tiles that are exposed to water? There doesn't seem to be a lot of people locally who know anything about working with Saltillo, and I'm getting some conflicting answers. Some of the websites I've seen recommend using an oil based sealer outdoors. But that may be for drier climates.
Unread 05-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Carolyn

I see we're dealing with semantics here.

It is ok to use an oil based impregnating sealer outside. The one that I favor is SB Elements from STT. It is specifically designed for exterior use. PM me if you need additional information, as I am a STT Manufacturers Rep.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase