Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
raindog

travertine sealer and grout sealer

I'm wondering what sealer I should use for several projects.

I'm building a polished travertine vanity top. Should I seal the tiles before grouting, if so, with what?

I'm tiling a shower with porcelain tiles with natural travertine accent tiles. Should I seal the natural tile accent tiles before grouting, if so, with what?

Finally what should I use to seal the grout in the shower, on my newly tiled floor, and vanity top?
Unread 09-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
raindog

Sealers for travertine and grout

I'm wondering what sealer I should use for several projects.

I'm building a polished travertine vanity top. Should I seal the tiles before grouting, if so, with what?

I'm tiling a shower with porcelain tiles with natural travertine accent tiles. Should I seal the natural tile accent tiles before grouting, if so, with what?

Finally what should I use to seal the grout in the shower, on my newly tiled floor, and vanity top?
Unread 09-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Mike2

Paula, I'm going to move you over to the Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing forum. You'll get better coverage of your question over there.

By the way, there are a number of good brands of sealers. StoneTech is one. You should be able to find it locally in certain tile stores carrying professional products, or you can order it online here from the TYW Store.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Paula, here at the tyw store above we have Stonetech,in there you'll find a heavy duty sealer,this will work for grout and stone alike.Trick is travertine doesn't absorb much so use sparingly, and wipe off excess before it dries.Grout will absorb much more and may take a couple applications,i use a sponge,but you could use an applicator.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Up to you where you post a question of that sort, Paula, but please post it in only one forum. Causes much confusion and duplication when folks are trying to answer in two places, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
raindog

My apologies CX.
Unread 09-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Company policy is that we never kill violators for the first offense, Paula, so not to worry overly.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
raindog

Another related question. I would like to darken up these travertine tiles a bit, is there a sealer that will darken them a bit more than others?
Unread 10-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
GeorgeT
StoneTech Rep

Send a message via ICQ to GeorgeT
Hi Paula -

Enhancing sealers are designed to enrich the color of the stone. Sometimes that means darken....generally whatever color the tile gets when wet with water is about what an enhancer will do.
Travertine is notorious for varied enhancement. Because travertine naturally has dense areas and porous areas, sealers absorb at different rates thus producing varied enhancment.
The only way to determine which enhancing sealers changes your stone the most is to test different sealers.... every stone is different....
http://www.stonetechpro.com/
GeorgeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
raindog

George I picked up some Stonetech Pro Enhancer Pro Sealer from Dal tile. I tried it on a piece and it looks great.

Question, when should apply the sealer, before setting, before grouting, or after grouting?

I did seal a piece that I intend to set on my countertop I hope that doesn't cause issues when I grout?
Unread 10-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
GeorgeT
StoneTech Rep

Send a message via ICQ to GeorgeT
Hi Paula -

Generally sealers are applied after stone is set, grouted and cured. Often a type of sealer called a "grout release" is applied to textured stone prior to grouting as it aids in the clean-up of grout and can also help prevent staining from the color pigments in the grout during the grouting process. Many tile setters often use their regular sealer as a grout release while others use products designed specifically for use as a grout release.
The polished stone probably could be grouted without using a grout release but if the accent tiles are textured you may want to do those.
Enhancer Pro can be used pre grout but let it cure for 36 hours at least (72 is better) before grouting.
You may want to enhance around the one tile you already did.... it could wind up darker than the others as it would have one more coat than the rest.....
http://www.stonetechpro.com/
GeorgeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase