Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #16
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethatkerdistick
...meh/good-enough...
"Meh" is almost a 4-letter word!

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #17
Metropolitan Ceramics

Jim, you asked this (sorry, I've never been able to figure out the quote function on here): "The video I saw shows that it's much harder than Fusion or Flexcolor. Does harder = better? It might."

Having been there for the development of Flexcolor CQ I can take a swing at answering that. With this type of system you have to look at hardness versus time. You can make a system that gets very hard very quickly but it's a bear to clean off of the tiles. Flexcolor had a version like that because originally we thought that's what we wanted but as we did applications with it, we realized that we really needed to find a sweet spot between applying and cleaning the grout and returning the installation to use. The 3 day waiting period for Flexcolor and similar chemistry products is to let the grout get hard enough to resist common causes of grout wear (sweeping, mopping, pet nails, moving furniture). For wet areas, it's best to wait 7 days because these grouts air dry, so time spent wet won't allow them to dry.

The other aspect of Flexcolor and similar grouts is that they do retain a certain amount of flexibility after they cure. While you often hear that a cement grout has 'powdered out' of the joint or cracked, this is rarely if ever the case with Flexcolor. Extremely hard grouts like epoxies don't flex at all. Again, it's a trade-off. Do you want extremely hard grout joints? Yes, if you do everything right in regards to movement accommodation throughout the rest of the installation (movement joints every 8-20 feet, gaps at the perimeters, silicone caulk at changes of plane for wet areas). If you shortcut any of these requirements, an extremely hard grout isn't going to be your friend.

Time will tell if Spectralock 1 hits the sweet spot for these various trade-offs.
Unread 03-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #18
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Thanks, Dan! That's helpful. I always like to understand how products work.

Curious how the new Delta Cruzer tile saw stacks up against Dewalt? Check out the full review and video on DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #19
Gusdog

Thought I would add my recent experience with Spectalock 1. I'm not a professional, and only working on a small bathroom project here at home. I did the grout on the shower and main floor, the application was easy and the clean up was very easy compared to my one experience using Flexcolor CQ. Don't know if this information will be of any use to others, but from this very limited example I am happy with the choice to use this particular grout. Time will tell how it holds up.

John
Unread 03-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #20
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I have used Flexcolor on many shower floors and walls and recommend it highly....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2020, 07:10 AM   #21
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Flexcolor has to be one of the easiest grouts to work with. The new Spectralock product has my interest. The beauty of Flexcolor is its ability to stay somewhat flexible. Any slight movement in the structure can be handled with the premium thinsets and flexcolor. I'm not sure with the new Spectralock. If it has flexibility it would surely be a game changer for sure.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase