Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
chuck_b

Suggestions to correct small miskake

Hi Folks,

I found this site about 10-12 years ago when redoing a master shower with Kerdi. Glad to see it's still so active, what a great resource for guys like me. :-)

Anyway, on to the point. I'm working on remodeling our second bathroom and I have run into a problem with an out of plumb wall. Basically, I did all the things you guys would want me to with materials, thinking about tile layout, etc but I missed checking this one wall for true vertical. I'm curious what options others may have to correct this before I finish tiling this wall.

Pic 1 - shows the alcove and general layout I'm dealing with.
Pic 2 - shows a laser line on vertical of the alcove wall. The lines are a bit light, but the laser line is on the edge of the wall at the top of the picture, note the difference at the bottom
Pic 3 - shows a bullnose on the lower part of the wall, where I measured and based my layout on
Pic 4 - bullnose on the upper part of the wall, shows the tile overhang/wall out of plumb
Pic 5 - Level on the alcove wall, shows out of plumb again

I think I have a few options, all with pros/cons.
1. trim the bullnose to fit the wall - Easy to do, but I'm worried that by trimming the bullnose, which are skinny to begin with, it will stick out like a sore thumb that they're skinnier at the top than the bottom.

2. Trim the tile on the wall back a 1/4" to match the wall so the bullnose will fit in. I'm mostly worried that I wont' be able to get a clean/straight line with this option. I guess I'd do this with an diamond wheel/angle grinder by hand & straight edge? Is there a better tool that would make this easy?

3. Keep tiling the way it is and then build up the alcove wall with drywall mud. This is probably the easiest option, but am I missing any issues/problems with this one?

Thanks,
Chuck
Attached Images

chuck_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Hi Chuck,

As things go not the end of the world and I’d go with option 3 BUT build out the wall before you put the tiles on. With that short of a section I’d build it up with a few coats of drywall compound to get the edge true within 1/8” and then trim the bullnose to match.

Your tile layout and thinset look nice and tidy. Nice work!

I had a similar issue on a bathroom using a similar tile a few years and and adjusted the field tile positions as I went up to minimize the amount of cutting required to the end pieces. Unfortunately as you said, that’s not a option at this point.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
SpaceCadet

Option 2 will be a mess. You're not going to get a clean cut with an angle grinder and tile that's already on the wall.

Were you going to tile over that strip of drywall or paint? If you tile over it up to the main wall, you don't have to be as neat about building out the narrow strip and could extend the aquaD farther.

Also don't know how long it's taking you to do this but you may want to put some paper over the window, aquaDefense is UV sensitive. It's not prominent in the instructions but it's not recommended to keep it exposed to sunlight for more than a week.
Unread 03-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #4
chuck_b

Thanks for the feedback guys. After mulling it over yesterday afternoon, I agree, building up the alcove wall with a bit of drywall mud seems like the best option.

Thanks for the compliment PC, I appreciate it. I've learned so much from this site, it's incredible. Kudos to you guys who are good at this, I know enough now to realize how much I don't know. :-)

SpaceCadet - I never considered UV might be an issue on the membrane. It's Ardex 8+9, not aquadefense, but I'll put something up all the same. Thanks for the tip!

-chuck
chuck_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase