Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
Pentheon
Bryan

Advice on stone fireplace.

Looking to redo our fireplace. Thinking about using stacked stone and then a floating mantel.

In the pictures you can see the upper half where the tv is set in the depth of 1 brick. Do you think it's ok to knock the lower half part that's sticks out further to make everything flush? The fireplace can function but we dont plan on using it and hasnt been used in years.

Thinking about just using furring strips from top to bottom then cement board. The last picture is an idea of what were looking to do

Any feedback or tips would be appreciated
Attached Images

Unread 01-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Only way I know to determine whether you can safely remove the lower part of that facade, Bryan, would be to take out a couple of the upper bricks in the opening and see if there is a separate support for the upper section. It appears in one photo that there is a full brick extending back from the front face of the opening and I think it possible that could be part of the support for the lintel holding up the top half. That, of course, is just a guess.

One thing I would suggest is that you need to bring that hearth out far enough to meet code or somehow render the fireplace no longer able to be used for wood burning. At a glance it looks a bit shallow to me.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The upper section concerns me, Bryan, as it appears the mantle extends underneath the brick, and it also appears the brick isn't actually sitting on the mantle. Makes me wonder what's supporting the upper brick façade.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
Pentheon
Bryan

I'm not sure, I assumed there was another layer of brick behind the lower half. There I'd another fireplace in the basement if that helps.

Here's a few more pics. Let me know if any other angles could help.
Attached Images

Unread 01-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

We can see the usual 3x4" or 4x4" steel lintel supporting the brick face above the firebox opening, Bryan, but that still doesn't tell you what's supporting the upper brick veneer. I fully expect that upper veneer to be supported by a separate lintel of some sort above the damper, but I couldn't prove that without removing some brickwork.

Unread 01-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Pentheon
Bryan

So do you think the safer option is to just add furring strips over the lower half out most part of the brick and just frame the upper half to be flush with the lower?
Unread 01-29-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

If I knew I was gonna cover the face of the thing in any case, Bryan, I'd dig in there to see if I could remove the lower portion. Nothing to be lost to a little aesthetic damage if it turns out you cannot remove the lower portion and if you find you can remove it safely, you win.

Unread 01-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #8
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

What do you intend with the firebox proper? An insert of some kind? Use as is but with new face? If insert I'd want to know its depth so I didn't remove façade only to find out I need the depth for it to insert into. Your downstairs flue likely runs behind or to the side of the one we're seeing. It's gonna be a massive chunk of masonry no matter what.

Flammable fur-out of bottom would be bad idea if close to firebox. Were it me and from what I can see there in photos, I'd be inclined to remove or cut that end facing top course of bottom section, and fur the top out. Seems like it would be simplest all things considered. Maybe you don't want that depth in the new façade?

Some photos of how the mantel intersects brick might be insightful. It's outside of the ordinary, at least for this neck of the woods.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #9
Pentheon
Bryan

Sorry for the late reply.

Honestly not too sure what I had planned for the inside. Possibly an insert maybe like you said depending on the depth if able too. If not maybe just paint or something to make it look fresh or a stone if possible? We honestly don't plan to use the fireplace.

The main reason i want to cut back on the bottom if i can is to gain as much space as possible. The living room is long but not wide so with the couch on the other end of the fireplace I dont wanna fur the top out and the tv stick out too much and somebody hit into it

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase