Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #16
James_Pospischil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy View Post
Versabond is modified.
Was under the impression I was supposed to use unmodified. Or is that just layer under tile? I've read so many things my head is spinning

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Unread 03-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #17
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, James.

The VersaBond is indeed a modified thinset mortar. If you use it with your Ditra or DitraHeat, you will not have a warranty from Schluter. You don't care. Any failure you have with the Ditra will be an installer error of some sort and not covered.

The VersaBond will work just fine on both sides of the Ditra. Davy knows that. Schluter knows that. I know that.

But whatever you do, please do not use that Custom Blend for any part of your project unless you will be bedding some CBU in a wood framed floor application. If you want to use an unmodified thinset mortar with your Schluter products, find one of better quality. There are many out there.

I'd use the VersaBond on your current project. See my warranty information below.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2020, 07:16 PM   #18
James_Pospischil

Thank you for your help. Trying to get materials together before they stop travel in my area. I'm off of work for at least a couple weeks (all residential Construction shut down)and want to keep project moving forward at my home

Last edited by cx; 03-20-2020 at 08:15 PM.
James_Pospischil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #19
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Just to be clear, James, use the regular Versabond (not the LFT version) to bond the Ditra Heat mat to the concrete, mixing it a bit loose as mentioned above. The LFT version for the tile to Ditra.

In that size area filling the Ditra will consume a lot of mortar.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #20
James_Pospischil

Do you guys recommend using a dehumidifier to help with cure time?

Unread 03-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #21
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Do you guys recommend using a dehumidifier to help with cure time?
Cement based products don't 'dry'...the curing process is a chemical reaction. In fact, while you certainly don't want excess moisture, keeping things damp and allowing enough moisture for that chemical reaction to work will produce a stronger solution than potentially starving it for the required moisture.

Note that the modifiers in some modified thinsets also need to dry, but many of them out there today don't.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2020, 07:33 PM   #22
James_Pospischil

Thanks guys,you have been great to deal with

Unread 04-01-2020, 11:27 PM   #23
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Versabond is my preferred ditra installation thinset over both concrete and plywood. I mix it a really loose. It wouldn't hurt to clean the substrate with a wet sponge. Like they said above. Anything that you can do to slow down cure time will make it better.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #24
James_Pospischil

Just a quick updat for anyone who is interested. Versabond working good ,got a few sections down and everything seems good. Only issue I quickly recognized is the mat itself needs to be weighted down on ends. Wants to curl up? Started unrolling and letting lay to relax.

Unread 04-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #25
James_Pospischil

Also pre filling closets with leftover thinset

Unread 04-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #26
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

It can help to roll the Ditra out the opposite way to take some of the curl out of it. Also, do pull a section back once you think you've got it embedded properly. You should see a full coat of thinset on both the back of the mat and the floor. If not, you may need a bit more water in the mix, or you didn't embed it well. On a large area, sometimes, if you have a lawn roller, that can make it go faster. The stuff also works better if it is at least room temperature, so if you take it out of an unheated garage (well, depends on where you live!), it can be exceedingly stiff.

It gets held in place because the thinset flows around the fleece, then cures. It does not technically 'stick' to the mat, nor does it 'stick' on top...on top, it's held in place because of the shape of the mat.

Normally, thinset bonds by literally growing crystalline spikes into any imperfections in a random, criss-cross pattern, locking the stuff together. Sort of like Velcro. The mat is flexible, so the spikes will break off, and not bond to it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #27
James_Pospischil

A lawn roller is a great idea. Gonna have to ask around. Considering residential Construction is shut down here,I have plenty of time. Actually put some weight on top of a 2x4 at end to hold it down.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase