Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #31
mmoogie
Steve Zerby Design/Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
We've merged your two threads, Steve, as they are for the same project. Helps all contributors to have the complete project history at hand when reading and responding to questions. Let is know if you'd like the thread renamed.
Thanks. Wasn't sure if I should keep them together or not. Title is fine.
Unread 03-18-2020, 02:20 PM   #32
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, the overflow is not a vent. The vent is to prevent the trap from being siphoned out, and thus, needs to be after the p-trap. The overflow is attached prior to the p-trap. Otherwise, the overflow would have a direct path to the sewer gasses if it was after the p-trap.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #33
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

To clarify, overflow does indeed allow air into tub drain but does not act as a plumbing vent to exterior. Plug it and see how well your tub drains. Big gulps of air through drain = slow drain. I probably shouldn't have mentioned as it just served to muddy the water.

I can imagine why code doesn't allow horizontal drains before traps, but it's typically from a worst case scenario point of view and not every case is that way. FWIW, I wouldn't do if for a client.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2020, 02:29 PM   #34
mmoogie
Steve Zerby Design/Build

So I’ve bought warmwire and cablestrap for the dry area and suntouch showermat for the shower. Gonna bed the warmwire in SLC, which I’ve not used before. Any recommendations on brand? Is self-leveling underlayment the same thing? Local stores carry LevelQuick or Henry, MAPEI and Tec. Reviews are inconsistent.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase