Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
mjinnj

Kerdi and plumbers in NJ?

I am renovating a small upstairs bath and would like to try a Kerdi shower. I purchased TYW and the Kerdi book. But every plumber I have gotten estimates from want to make a pan the old way. They don't want me to make a kerdi shower. I have heard "that stuff isn't any good", "what is kerdi", etc. etc. Does anyone know of a plumber in NJ that is familiar with kerdi. You can bump this to the pro's hangout if it would answered better over there. Thanks, MJ.
mjinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

you dont need a plumber to install Kerdi.

you just need a plumber to install a pipe out of the ground in the area you want your drain.

the tile contractor that does Kerdi will do the rest.
(set Kerdi drain, mud pan, set tile, etc)

where about in Joisey are you ?

we have a lot from around that area on here and I'm originally
from the South Jersey area.

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
mjinnj

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am planning on doing the kerdi and tiling. But the plumbers don't want to do the drain pipes leading from the kerdi drain. They all think I'm crazy for doing a shower that way. I'm in Matawan, Central Jersey.
Unread 11-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
ceramictec

find one that will just plumb a pipe up into that area.
the rest you can do. plumbers don't have a clue how to do Kerdi.
just the traditional pan.

^^Check out our Blog^^
Unread 11-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
mjinnj

That was my plan. But the three that have come out so far don't want any part of it. I guess business is good around here, and they don't need the work. It's hard enough to get one to show up. I'll keep trying to find someone, thanks.
Unread 11-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
ceramictec

I just ran into the same thing on a travertine bathroom remodel I am doing.
the plumber said he wanted to do the pan & drain and since he had to pull a permit....the homeowner let him out the door.

the next guy didn't have a clue and wondered how I was going to do it without a pan.......lol

and he finally found a plumber willing to do the rough in before me.

^^Check out our Blog^^
Unread 08-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
mjinnj

Joint compound in shower?

I have been reading this great site for a while, planned on doing a kerdi shower myself. My wife wanted a "professional". Well, he didn't use kerdi. He installed the drywall and hardi yesterday. I see that he used premixed joint compound and paper tape on all seams in the bathroom, including in the shower. I thought that was a no-no, but what should I do? Am I right, or just paranoid?
Thanks, MJ
Unread 08-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Bellsfloors
Tile, Wood, LVT, Home Renovation Contractor

If he is starting out that bad then you should fire him and look for a Professional that is actually competent.

Joint compound in a shower is an obvious clue that this joker is screwing up your install terribly from the get go and it's only going to get worse.

Flooring-Tile-Waterproof Showers
www.AttentionToPerfection.com
Bellsfloors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
mjinnj

found the answer

I think I found my answer. Now how do I tell my contractor he did it wrong? I'm sure he will say "that's how they always did it" and it works fine. He didn't want to hear anything about kerdi.
Unread 08-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, MJ.

I combined your original thread here for continuity. It will help if you bookmark it and use it for all your project questions. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Well, he didn't use kerdi. He installed the drywall and hardi yesterday. I see that he used premixed joint compound and paper tape on all seams in the bathroom, including in the shower.
Not sure I unnerstan. Do you mean he didn't use Kerdi...........ever before, or he didn't use Kerdi in your shower, or he's not planning to use Kerdi in your shower, or.......what?

If he's planning to use Kerdi but he's taped and filled alla sheetrock seams, it ain't exactly fatal. If he's a really good sheetrock man his walls may be flat enough to get by just fine. He'll have more trouble in the corners than he would if they weren't filled, but, again, not fatal.

I've seen this mistake before. I've made this mistake before. I recovered from it and built my customer a very fine shower, indeed. I will not make this mistake again.

But do tell us what's the plan at this point?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
mjinnj

He wouldn't use kerdi. So he installed hardi board, and plans to tile over it. But he taped the seams with paper tape and premixed joint compound. Based on what I have read on this site, that isn't the proper way. Do I just cut my losses and send him on his way, or ask him to do it the right way? Or, do I remove the joint compound and install kerdi and tile it myself? I can't be much worse than the guy I have now.
Unread 08-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
The Kid

id send him a packin. flash tape on cbu

Cascade Tileworks,llc
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

I still gotta know more about this project.

Did this fella, who would not and will no do a Kerdi shower, build you a proper traditional shower pan before he installed these CBU walls and pewt sheetrock mud on'em?

If so, did he install a moisture barrier behind the CBU shower walls?

What was the plan here?

Musta been a plan.

But it's likely he's gotta go if he has no concept of any correct method of building a shower.

Unread 08-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
mjinnj

The plumber put in a shower pan. PVC? The contractor put in the cement base. When I asked him about a vapor barrier, he said no problem. Then he just installed insulation with a barrier on it. Not what I meant, but he dismisses my questions like I don't know what I am talking about. Thank goodness for this site. I should have done this myself. Is there any code that says you can't use joint compound in a wet area? At least then he HAS to fix it.
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
but he dismisses my questions like I don't know what I am talking about.
You need to start dismissing his payments until he figgers out who's managing the project.

There is not code for shower construction at all, 'cept for the plumbing, which includes the preslope, Drain, and pan liner.

Oh, and code prohibits the use of sheetrock in a shower now. 'Cept for Kerdi System showers, which have a bit of a work-around in place.

But there are other industry standards that apply to shower construction, all of which should be familiar to him. Not to mention manufacturer's instructions, which trump any other requirements. Invite him to show you where James Hardi recommends or approves the use of sheetrock mud or paper tape in the joints between his wallboard panels.

It's not up to you to show him why he cannot use a particular product in a particular application, it's up to him to show you why he can and by what authority.

Your house, your checkbook, your rules.

What sort of actual contract do you have with this gentleman?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase