Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
Britcheflee

What to do with this tiled in sink??

Hi,

We are remodeling an older house - although old style we are happy with the counter top tile - however the sink is another issue - it is worn out and horrible - I would like to replace it (got a quote to get it re-enameled and that was over $500) it is metal and it looks as if it was dropped into a hole on the base wood on the counter top then cemented and tiled in.
I was going to cut it out but as you can see the back tile goes down to it and this is part of the window ledge above......any suggestions as to what to do with this?
Attached Images

Britcheflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Lee,

Back in the day I used to cut those sinks out and replace them from time to time. It's tedious surgery, and needs to be undertaken with care. destroy one little piece of tile and you're out of business.

The quarter-round (tile trim) that holds the sink in needs to be sawn out painstakingly and preserved. It's easy to change out the sink then. A problem might arise in obtaining another tile-in sink. At least a couple years ago there was still an outfit in L.A. that made them. Can't recal the name.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
rkoudelka

If your going to keep the tiles, Id consider the $500 for re-doing the enamel.

Youll pay $250 for a good sink anyway. More for a double basin to match your size opening. Add in the time and effort, plus the possibility of cracking a tile and it all adds up to... $501. See, economically it makes sense.
Unread 10-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A finish in place will never have the durability of a factory baked on finish. I don't think you'll be satisfied...I'd replace it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

John,
Nearly every kitchen I did while in California called for a tile-in sink. There are still plenty of manufacturers making them, though few suppliers keep them in stock. Almost always a special order item but it shouldn't be too much trouble to get one that fits the size and the needs.
Removing and replacing is an entirely different iguana.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:02 PM   #6
Britcheflee

Do you think that if I got it out I could put in a drop in sink?

Lee
Unread 10-28-2006, 02:43 AM   #7
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Lee,
You could certainly put in a surface-mounted sink, but there are two obstacles to that.
1. Finding a sink large enough to cover the hole, including one that will stretch from your V-cap in the front all the way back to your backsplash.
2" There will be about a 2" gap at the backsplash which will need to be built up to give support to the back of the sink.
I think I would find the replacement sink before I began demolition or seriously reconsider replacement of the whole kitchen counter.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Britcheflee

Can I remove this sink and save tile counter?

Hi,

I have an older kitchen sink which I want to remove - I think it is classified as an undermount sink? It looks like it was dropped into the hole on the wood counter top and then tiled up to and surrounded by tile (I have pictures) - I re-enameled the sink using a store bought process and in fact this lasted for a year until it started to peel off. Now I want to remove the sink and replace it but I want to save the tile counter top which although old fashioned fits in well with the old country/farmhouse kitchen we have - plus all the tiles and grout are solid.

I have an angle grinder with masonry disk and a dremmel tool with grout removing tool ready to go. I dont intend saving the old tile but finding a similar color tile to replace them so they can break if needed.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Attached Images

Unread 04-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
Britcheflee

In addition to above

I would like to replace the sink with a similar enamel sink rather than s/s - any suggestions as to best place to get these? Home depot/Lowes etc.

Lee
Unread 04-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
bbcamp

You have a tile-in sink, and yes, you will break a few tiles getting it out of there. I doubt (but don't know for a fact) that you will find an exact replacement or even a tile-in sink of any kind at Lowes or HD, unless it's special order.

I see particle board under the sink, and am amazed you aren't having any swelling or other issues with it.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
Britcheflee

Thanks bob.

No problems with any swelling or water damage - the tiles are in great condition as is the grout. I will start looking for a tile in sink. There are no options but to go with the same kind of sink? Could I replace tile and put a drop in sink on top of new tile?

Thanks,

Lee
Unread 04-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Lee,

Back in the good old days we used to cut out the quarter-round tiles at the edge of the opening, lift the sink out and then go back in with new quarter-round -- a very tricky process almost always done by a mud pro. But it appears to me that you could worm out the particle board underneath and remove the sink that way without disturbing the tile. You could then prop up the new sink and screw on added boards around the bottom edge of the sink. You would have to do some creative shimming and wedging to get the sink full supported. Finally caulk the top sink perimeter with silicone against the tile quarter-round.

I think there is still a place in the Anaheim CA area that makes those sinks. Sorry, I don't have any other info. You'll have to do a Google.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 02:57 AM   #13
Britcheflee

Can a tile in sink be converted to drop in?

I Posted earlier about the tile in sink I want to remove - I had another question about this - If it cut away the tile around the sink and remove the tile in sink then replace the tile removed and make good could I then put a drop in sink in the opening rather than put another tile in sink and retile afterwards?

Here is the sink:
Attached Images

Unread 04-15-2008, 04:08 AM   #14
bbcamp

I think that backsplash is going to make that difficult. Have you taken measurements of the cutout?
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
Britcheflee

Can I break a cast iron sink?

I have a very old and tired cast iron ceramic coated sink which I am trying to get out. It is a tile in type and I had a tile expert come and neatly remove the tiles all around it - the top is exposed all the way round now but it is determined not to come out and is clinging on by the glue around the lip under the surround of the sink like a dang limpet.

I put a car jack under the sink with some blocks of wood and now have it so it is just moving - i dont want to lever around the edges in case I break the other tiles - I am thinking of removing all the hardware and trying to break it up a little to remove it piece meal - is it possible to break up one of these sinks?

Lee

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase