Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-09-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
betsometer

Help with tiled in sink edge

Before my installer grouts my tiled bathroom countertop tomorrow, I thought I'd see if there might have been a better way of installing this tiled in sink (besides using a self-rimming sink). Here's what has been done. The old tile and sink was removed from the vanity countertop. A sheet of 1/2 " cementboard was cut to fit the countertop and a cutout was made for the sink (an American Standard Ovalyn undermounted sink). The sink was inserted and two more sheets of 1/2 " cementboard placed on top (with oval cutouts) so that the top layer sandwiches in the sink. The counter was tiled with sheets of 1" x 1" tiles and the vertical edge of cementboard around the sink opening was covered with the same tiles cut in half. The countertop tiles overlap the top edge of these vertical tiles so that their white edges are visible along the inside edge of the sink. We are using white grout on the blue tiles, so hopefully it will look better once finished, but I'm wondering if there could be a better way to finish off the edge. The installer is just planning to sand it so there are no sharp edges. Besides looks, is it going to be a problem having the edge of the tile exposed in terms of wear? They plan on sealing the countertop.
betsometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Bets,
From the description you've given I think this should have been trimmed with quarter-rounds cut down to what we like to call "horseteeth". These are generally around 1" long and the ends are pie-cut so that together they follow the curve of your sink. It sounds like your guy did a hack job? Have you got a photo?
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
betsometer

Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera. This is the picture I showed the contractor from the Ann Sacks web site (although I'm using a different line of tile).
I see that one of the tiles listed for this installation is: 1" x 6" quarter round II.
Is there a way to still add the trim piece to the edge of the counter tiles?? I guess all the tiny cut tiles around the edge would have to be redone.
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
betsometer

Here is the picture I meant to attach.
Attached Images

Unread 05-09-2006, 10:40 PM   #5
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Yup,
Them's horseteeth and I don't know that you can get a good horsetooth sink set in CBU? I learned to float all of mine and never tried CBU. If you showed your tile guy that picture and he gave you something else, I think he owes you the cost of the tile replacement, just before he takes his work out and leaves your house. But, I'm unforgiving that way.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase