Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 05-29-2022, 03:20 PM   #16
HS345
Tile Contractor

https://bongino.com/the-facts-on-arming-teachers/
Unread 05-29-2022, 05:51 PM   #17
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Essentially, it's the mindset of the perp...NOT the device, but we don't have the outcry about banning Ford, do we?

A gun, rifle or shotgun or brick is only a tool...so why do we demonize the tool?
It’s hardly accurate to compare auto and gun regulations. Ownership and operation of vehicles regardless of brand is regulated and controlled in a manner which greatly exceeds guns. Laws exist throughout the nation which require individuals to be licensed, have the proper training and insurance before operating a vehicle.

Motor vehicle safety is studied at state and federal organizations resulting in improvements in both autos and roadways to drive down injuries and fatalities. Is it unreasonable to do the same for gun related injuries and deaths?

I do agree that the type of firearm really doesn’t matter and focusing on specific types (e.g. AR, etc.) is a distraction. We need to understand the causes and trigger for these events and implement reasonable measures to mitigate the risk regardless of the firearm type. And frankly it starts with better mental health support at risk individuals before they harm others whether with a hammer, a gun or a Ford.

Last edited by PC7060; 05-29-2022 at 06:01 PM.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2022, 07:27 PM   #18
Just In Tile LLC

I brought those other points up on post #10 because I think they are a smart way to go about it on those other topics.

I somewhat agree with jadnashua on not a God given right to "everyone" but to a competent person, and we should have a way or process to determine that.

I would suspect the reason for some people to not want to give up an inch when it comes to determining who is competent and who is not is they would say that system could be manipulated over time to where the original "plan" ends up disqualifying huge amounts of competent people...and I would say the history of our government would actually support their claim. haha

BUT... I also suspect that our founding fathers would not personally hand a gun over to the village idiot or someone mentality unstable... it was just called common sense and not a formal rule. Don't give a rifle to Fredrick over there he stares at the sun all day.

If we find a way to accurately or let me say very accurately, weed out what most of us would consider an incompetent person and still have checks and balances so government can't slowly grow their net on who's incompetent I'd be for it...

It's a hard sell though because we all witnessed the difference in governing bodies just in the U.S. through covid. We saw the door open an inch in some places and some areas it was a mile! So I understand people wary of ANY sort of regulation or restriction on firearms, even though I think we need more.
Unread 05-31-2022, 01:56 PM   #19
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Prior to Texas enacting their open carry law so basically everyone can carry a pistol in public most places, in the about 5 years prior (don't remember the exact timeframe), they had rejected about 35,000 applications for one reason or another. But, after the implementation of their new law, it appears everyone now is qualified to carry...does this make any sense?

Some people just aren't suited to be able to carry or even access a lethal weapon.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2022, 05:37 PM   #20
Just In Tile LLC

I agree there are some really silly things like that that don't make sense.

I remember reading about someone can be on the no fly list but still buy a firearm. Just little things like that should be resolved for sure.

I do want the right to own a firearm to always be there. I wouldn't mind raising the age to 21 but have allowances for military and youth hunting or sporting.
Unread 06-02-2022, 05:56 PM   #21
Mathman

This is where we are as a nation with our expectation of teachers...
Attached Images

Unread 06-02-2022, 06:16 PM   #22
Just In Tile LLC

Yeah I agree that teachers have a tough gig, it would be like working for 30 homeowners at once, and each of them wanting a different design in the same space.
Unread 06-13-2022, 01:23 PM   #23
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

More teachers are now armed. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ls-mike-dewine
Unread 06-15-2022, 09:02 AM   #24
Mathman

rehio. more teachers are allowed to be armed with less training.

if I read correctly, now with only 24 hours of training instead of 700.

So, will teachers have semi automatic rifles in the classroom or just pistols?

I wonder if anyone here is also a teacher. If you are not do you realize how much training they require teachers to have to continue to be teachers each year? (or during each 5 years certification window)

So, shooting a gun requires 24 hours of training. Teaching a child in Texas requires 150 hours every five years. For those not so good with math that is 30 hours per year.

Ohio requires 180 hours to be qualified to teach those kids. But to have a gun in the classroom and try to protect them like a police officer only requires 24...
Unread 06-15-2022, 03:58 PM   #25
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

24 hours of training to operate a handgun is quite a lot if it includes range time...
Unread 06-15-2022, 05:19 PM   #26
Mathman

Not many ranges inside a classroom...
Unread 06-15-2022, 05:27 PM   #27
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Duh....No, obviously they would need to go to a range facility....

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase