Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
jongordo8

grouted shower wall today and it stained my porcelain tile...Help.

So I thought I was on the last leg of my bathroom and just had to grout and seal the tile. I started on one wall today using Mapei Keracolor S in mocha color. This is not the first grout job or tile job, so I figured this would go smoothly (besides having very sore arms). When I cleaned off the grout my tiles are stained and I am freaking out. I tried Dupoint Grout haze remover and it didn't help.

I guess I assumed because it was porcelain tile I didn't have to seal it before grouting, big mistake I see now.

Ideas on what I can do to make the tiles look better?

I have attached a couple pics of what the tile looks like now (with the grout stains, and one wall that isnt grouted and isnt stained).

Thanks in advance for any and all advice, I am freaked out right now.
Attached Images

Unread 09-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Do those tile have a texture? A sealer may or may not have helped. Not all grout haze removers are created equal, but it will take some scrubbing to get the cement out of the texture of the tile. Any dark grout on a light tile could have resulted in the same thing. A call in the morning to Mapei's tech support line may give you some help.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
jongordo8

I called mapei tech support line and they said that grout haze remover should get rid of it. I explained to them that I bought some last night, diluted it 4 to 1,and didn't see any difference. I read on here that maybe trying aqua mix nanoscrub or sulfamic acid might remove it. Anyone had experience with these products?
Unread 09-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Porcelain Blues

Hi Jon,

The grout used on our floors was Mapei. It's still a mess. We are still searching for a solution. Nanoscrub helped but wasn't 100% effective.

The thread is Unremovable Porcelain Tile Residue.

Good luck and I'll keep checking to see if you solved this.
Unread 09-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Jon

Do you have a link for the tile you used?

What was done differently at the bottom vs. the top of the back wall where we see the discoloration/staining? It appears to be worse at the bottom vs. the top. There appears to be a light outline of staining at the top also (could just be my monitor).

I don't suggest continuing with your grouting until a solution is derived.

Do you have extra tiles to do a mock up with grout utilizing either a sealer or grout release prior to grouting? I strongly recommended in cases like this.

Another cleaning suggestion is to try a product such as Prosoco EnviroKlean Safety Klean. This is safe for indoor use. It is available is pint sized samples, but must be procured from a local Prosoco Distributor, or online at Prosoco.com.

Keep in mind that you should allow your grout to cure a minimum of 10 days prior to using these type of products to avoid damaging the grout you don't want to remove. Follow label directions. This product should be diluted from 3:1 to 2:1. Always prewet, apply product, allow to dwell 3-5 minutes, agitate with brush, rinse and remove with sponge or microfiber.

Cleaning of walls should also always be from bottom to top.

Since this is indoors and you can't get a good flush with a pressure washer, you may want to consider using a company that utilizes a clean & extract system with truck mounted equipment. They are typically used on flooring, but small hand held devices are also available. You're dealing with an issue with cement dyes trapped in the micro pores of the porcelain. This is a little different that what Porcelain Blues (Grace) is dealing with.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
jongordo8

So the top is lighter (but still has discoloration/staining) because I grouted bottom to top and then cleaned top to bottom, so it was on the top the least amount of time. Then when I noticed the staining I was scrambling hard to get it off the tile as quick as possible.

Here is the tile I used:
http://www.flooranddecor.com/ivory-t...+ivory&start=2

I do have several cuts and full tiles that I could use to test, I agree to stop until I can figure it out.

I am going to try nanoscrub tonight and then I will look into your suggestion of cleaner if that doesn't do the trick.
Unread 09-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
doitright

Hi Jon

Very little info available regarding your tile. Matte porcelain.

For TESTing on a sample board and grouting, I'll suggest using either a sealer or a grout release. Did you dampen your tile while grouting?

The biggest issues are using the dark grout with your material. The fine pigments of color are getting into the micropores. We need to nip that in the bud.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

Unread 09-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
jongordo8

ok...I just made a small sample board by quicksetting some scraps onto a denshield board. I have a bottle of enrich n seal by aqua mix laying around from my previous home that had travertine. I will seal it with that and then grout before bed and see what happens.

I currently have nanoscrub sitting on the tile that is discolored. I will scrub in about 15 min and rinse and see if it helps
Unread 09-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
chesterflick

sometimes porcelain tile is underfired and grout can stain and never come out because the pigments have sucked into the pores of the bisque. I have seen it especially on polished porcelain it has the appearance that somehow the grout got under the polish. Porcelain tile is fired at higher temperatures than earthenware and should become vitreous but this does not always happen. Sometimes a glaze is applied that does not fit the clay.
All glazes are made from frit and are specially balanced to "fit" the bisque.
If you do a small test of muriatic acid and it don't come out, it aint coming out.

And for the record I have always grouted from top to bottom and washed from top to bottom so you clean as you go.
Unread 09-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
jongordo8

great news...nanoscrub worked (left it on for an hour recoating when it dried, scrubbed in a circular motion using a heavy duty scrub brush using heavy pressure, and got good results. The bottom row probably needs one more hour long sitting and a good scrub, but it will come off completely.

Thank you to everyone, I was truly panicked. Now I will seal the test pieces and see if I can figure out how to get it to be easy for the rest of the walls.

I attached a picture to show you my hard work today, looks much better huh?
Attached Images

Unread 09-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
doitright

Hi Jon

Great job! I'm glad to hear the Nano Scrub is working for you.

You shouldn't have to let that product dwell. Just prewet, apply, agitate, and rinse.

I'm not thrilled that you're using Enrich 'n' Seal as the sealer option. While it is an excellent product, only your test panel will reveal if it will perform as needed. If not, you may need to continue using your Nano Scrub for final clean up of any sealer residue.

Unread 09-23-2014, 03:31 AM   #12
jongordo8

What sealer would you suggest instead of enrich n seal?
Unread 09-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #13
doitright

Hi Jon

Any other impregnating sealer that's not an enhancer. Don't get me wrong, I have also used Enrich 'n' Seal on porcelain, but because of it being 100% resins it has a heavy body.

See how your TEST goes. Be sure to wipe & buff off any excess residue with any product you choose.

Do you plan on sealing your grout afterward?

Unread 09-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #14
jongordo8

I do plan on sealing the grout afterwards. I didn't grout the test pieces last night, got too wrapped up in mnf. I will do it tonight and let you know. I did seal the tile with enrich n seal last night and wiped them down, so it is ready to go.
Unread 09-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
eurob
Not...Sure

Jon , sorry to say but I think the first 2 rows from the bottom facing wall -- post #10 -- , look like they still have the residue present . Not much ....but it looks like from the photo .

Make sure they are not still stained , before you seal them .

There was something here but is no longer available
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase