Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Nibbler

Water resistant not waterproof

Why is color sil 100%silicon caulk described by the seller ColorRite Inc. as being water resistant but not waterproof. Isn't all 100% RTV silicon waterproof. I know GE silicon II is labelled as being permanently waterproof. What gives with this stuff is it really pure 100% silicon or is the manufacturer misleading the buyer by using a play on words. I asked ColorRite Inc. this question and they have not replied back so far! Anyone have any ideas on this subject?
Unread 05-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

100% silicone is waterproof. Where the silicone ends, however, may be a different story depending on how well the silicone is installed. Manufacturers language often tends towards the conservative, and i think that's what you're seeing with Color rite.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

maybe adding the colorant to the 100% silicone makes it not 100% silicone.

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Or they are just trying to cover their ____ when it comes to poor installations.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Nibbler

Company Responce

I finally contacted Color Rite Inc. on the phone and here's the scoop. They told me that the product is 100% silicone and is no different than any other silicon product but they simply don't want to gaureentee it as waterproof when they had not tested it for a particular specific application themselves. For instance, someone might want to use it on their boat. I was told the colorant or additives in no way affect the properties or chemistry of the silicon. It sure sounds to me like this is a legal cover your ass type of scenario. I still find it odd however because silicon is by nature 100% waterproof but I guess the way it is applied or used might not be. Still other silicon vendors don't seem to concerned about this distinction!
Unread 05-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

If you place a bead of silicone along a change of plain and don't tool the joint, that joint is not sealed. Seen it more than once and always installed by a professional.
tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Gordon Kaske
Bridgebuilder

caulking change in plane verses waterproof

If you caulk the change in plane with silicone. The silicone itself is waterproof, but where ever grout meets the silicone this will let water penetrate, and so will the tile to a lesser degree than the grout. The thing about silicone water will not break down its adhesion to the material over time as with acrylic caulks.

So my point is the joint is never waterproof, but the silicone is.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase