Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
chesterflick

bluestone cleaning and sealing

The blue stone was grouted with type s masonry and never cleaned well. Now the contractor wants it cleaned and sealed. I can't seem to get it 100% cleaned using sulfamic (light) or some acidic cleaner from dupont. I am only doing sample areas. Will use a wet vac next to make sure the water does not soak back in. Any suggestions ?
Unread 09-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Tom, I assume you are also scrubbing as you are washing.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
chesterflick

Thank goodness it has been cleaned and sealed and looks great . This is the mud job I talked about a few months back where the installer did not bond the mud to the slab and just rolled on some water and Portland as the bond coat to the stone.
it was ongrade and no one installed any expansion joints because the contractor said he does not like the looks of them even though in section 9300 there is a specific related section to division 6. I wrote my letters,told the boss, jumped up and down and told the project manager for our company that when it fails,and it will within a few years that if he tries to make it my issue I was going to do every thing in my power to make sure he is banished to carpet land for the rest of his life because he has no business doing tile.
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
chesterflick

Stone will not clean and some has been sealed

My favorite bluestone job has issues. Much of the stone will not come clean.
History: most of job on depressed slab. Stone installed with type S masonry and grouted the same. Stone has been was with concrete cleaners and I have even been told muratic ( if you can believe it ) stairs,stairs were installed and grouted same way I think some of the uncleared stars were sealed with a penetrating sealer. My biggest issue is that I threw up all the warning flags on this job from the beginning and was ignored. I am the one they look to now for a solution. Any help would be appreciated. Let me take some photos and send along if I figure it out

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase