Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
vinnie j

Glass blockade?

i just had my final inspection. Remodel kitchen and bath, add new bath. Well, not enough ventilation in the old bath. I didnt install a fan becuase i didnt want to cut the stucco (or the lathe and plaster for that matter). I did however put a small vent window in the glass block i installed, but it just wasnt big enough for the inspector. So... what to do? I am thinking i could remove the old window (takes up the space of 2 glass blocks) and remove 2 more blocks, then install a 2x2 window which i think would meet code. question is would it be easier (and safer) to cut a hole in the wall for a fan?
Thanx
be happy
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
vinnie j

thanx for the fast reply. second story bath, no sofit access, steep roof pitch. I know a fan would move more but that is not what i am concerned about, the bath has been fine with no ventalation for 90 years.
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
vinnie j

i should say that since this is the only thing holding up my final, i am just trying to figure out what is the easiest and fastest way to vent proporly.
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Gordon Kaske
Bridgebuilder

Old home ventilation

Remember that 90 years ago your home probably had quit a bit of air leakage. In the day fuel was cheap.

IF you or the previous owners have made envelope improvements to the structure over the years, moisture levels become a more critical issue. Cooking,bathing,laundry, and human presence are the biggest contributers. This is why there is codes for proper ventilation.
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
vinnie j

Thanks both of you a (and ceci)
i suppose a fan is my only choice then. I am not sure how i am going to pull that off. but i suppose i will have to get creative.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase