Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
Longbuck

Kerdi Shower Catastrophe

Hi,
I paid a guy to install a kerdi shower base and tile the walls and floor. Job complete. However, now I have a leak. It its coming from the front corner because the only time it leaks is when somebody is taking a shower. If I just turn the water on it doesn't leak because the shower stream hits in the back of the shower and the water goes down the drain before it hits the front corner. My question, can I rip up the floor and fix it, or am I going to have to start from scratch and rip out the whole thing?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

I would call the installer and ask how he is going to fix it.
evan1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

We'd need more info to understand exactly where it's leaking from. Are you using a shower curtain or a door? If a door, did they drill any holes in the top surface of the curb?

You could do a flood test, but you'd have to rent or buy a plug for the drain. The level might go down slightly in the beginning as the grout and stuff gets saturated, but once that happened, it should remain stable (a flood test is normally done prior to installing the tile) so there's little to nothing to absorb any moisture.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
workhurts

I'm going to guess from the wording that the 'guy' that was paid will either do nothing or apply liberal amounts of caulk or silicone.

Did you pay this person to just install a base or waterproof the shower? If you have pictures of the install, that would probably help. Guessing also no food test was performed?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
Longbuck

Crickets

Hes not returning calls. I need to do it myself, which is what i should have done in the first place.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Longbuck, welcome. Sorry to hear about these type of problems. Like the others, I have lots of questions but for now I would do what Craig said and call the installer. He needs to be involved and he needs to stand behind his work.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
Longbuck

It was installed with a door. I will send pics.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Without seeing more, it could just be a poor door installation, and not necessarily the shower construction.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase