Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-22-2017, 09:21 PM   #16
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Ali, I've run into a few of those bags too. I do this and wonder who fell asleep on the job.

All purpose sand and Portland cement is all it takes, mixed 5 sand to 1 Portland.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:22 AM   #17
irishexpat

Alright thanks all for the tips on deck mud.

I do have a question about thinset for above and below the Kerdi.

I know that in both locations Schluter calls for unmodified thinset. However I've seen a lot of people talk about using Versabond, which they call a 'very lightly modified' thinset. And then some other people talk about CustomBlend.

I'm planning to use versabond unless someone tells me it's a horrible idea.

Additionally, i found out in an irritating way that the '1/2' inch hardibacker is actually .42 inches, meaning it doesn't line up with the drywall edge. I will be extending the tile over the drywall past the tub to go behind the toilet and vanity. Obviously this area won't need the kerdi, but I would like to make the transition as smooth as possible. The best idea I had was to use an 11" trowel and thinset to try and smooth out that transition between hardi and drywall. So my plan would be to lay out the kerdi, see how much lip is still left after that, and skim on some thinset and let it dry before putting up the tile. THoughts?

Also, I know I owe you guys some pics. I'll try get them in the next few days. However, as the title states this is a weekend project, so no work happens until saturday
Old 10-23-2017, 06:23 AM   #18
irishexpat

Also, I found out that the existing shower pan upstairs was literally just placed on the floor. Once I got the existing surround and drywall out I was able to wiggle the pan all the way around. the only thing holding it on is the drain!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #19
workhurts

I'd read up on all posts regarding HardieBacker. It appears to be very very very thirsty making Kerdi application a pain. I've never really understood why people like HB over something like Durock.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #20
greenjp

If you're applying Kerdi, presumably because you believe it works, you needn't be using Hardi or Durock at all - you can get by just fine with plain old drywall.

That said as a complete and utter noob, when I started down this path earlier this year I quickly gravitated to the foam backer boards as the easiest method. I went with Wedi, but Kerdi board is similar.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #21
irishexpat

So itís been a while. Iím on my phone so Iíll try and add some pictures finally.

Iíve made good progress on the upstairs bathroom. Subway tile is up, floor tile is down, and the floor and back wall are grouped.

Grouting the 1/16 subway tile with MAPEI Flexcolor was a pain. But I did t wet the tiles first. Iíll try that for the remainder.

I think Iím gonna switch to Durock for the other two bathrooms, dealing with the thickness differential was really annoying. That means Iíll have to pull out the half finished hardibacker in bathroom #3, but thatís not a big deal.

The next bathroom on the list is our master, which is the big one. Iíll see any mistake every day.

The boss lady has said she wants niches, not shelves. I was thinking of using a plastic niche below the Durock and then overlapping the kerdi in. Is that worthwhile or should I get the kerdi niches? Are they the same thickness as the Durock? I was thinking about using the plastic ones since I assume they are fully waterproof except for where they meet the wall...
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #22
irishexpat

Upstairs bathroom is done.

Tile job isn’t perfect. More lippage than I would want in the master bathroom (the next target).

So I’m getting ready to do the master. A mud pan is in my future. The shower can be up to 43x59 if I want. I’m a bit worried about waterproofing all those corners with kerdi and getting nice smooth curbs. I’m playing around with the idea of dropping the subfloor a bit and doing a curbless shower instead. I plan on getting frameless doors either way. It’s a first floor master with a crawl space underneath so I wouldn’t have a problem getting in there and framing.

Any advice for going one way or the other?

Attaching “finished” image of upstairs bathroom.
Attached Images

Last edited by irishexpat; 03-08-2018 at 07:54 PM.
irishexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #23
cx
Da Home Builder

Good to have one behind you, eh, Ray?

If you're starting another project I'd recommend you start a new thread for it. Likely to get confused with this bathroom if you don't.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #24
irishexpat

Sounds good. Will do.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #25
mullet
░░░░░░░

Looks great Ray!!
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #26