Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-14-2007, 01:57 AM   #1
peterkw

Replacing tile in kitchen sink

I would like to replace my kitchen sink. It is a standard porcelain steel twin bowl sink in a tile countertop but the sink is tiled in with 1/4 round tiles. How difficult is it going to be to remove the sink? How should it be done?

I would like to replace the sink with a stainless steel sink or something other than porcelain. I haven't been able to find anything on web or anywhere else showing this kind of swap.

I wish they would have just put in a drop in sink--it would have been an easy DIY project.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
peterkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

First thing, make sure you can get your hands on matching tile.

Then, just remember to take out the grout around the tile and 1/4 round you need to remove so you dont break adjacent tiles.

A picture would be nice too, so we can see what sort of edge and backsplash you have. If your backsplash is thick and comes down over tiles you need to remove it could be a little trickier.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yeah, and I would make sure the new sink is longer than the old one. Cutting old tiles out is easier than adding them.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
peterkw

Here's a photo--the sink is recessed into the counter and set into mortar. I'm worried about how to break the sink free from the mortar. Also, can I install a stainless steel sink into an opening like this? If not I could go with a composite sink. I would rather not go back to a porcelain sink.

I'm not worried about finding matching tiles since these are plain white tiles. I bought my house new 7 years ago. It was already built with these counters and sink. I would not have selected this counter/sink combo.
Attached Images

Unread 10-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The sink probably is just sitting on the wood deck under the mud. The mud and tile is holding it in. The mud will come over the sink edge some which will need to be chiseled off to get the sink out.

A top set stainless steel sink would be the easiest. It would overlap the tile edge. That's what is used in nearly all homes today. Folks liked the recessed sinks like you have to make it easier to get water back into the sink.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 10-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
peterkw

Looking up from below I can definitely see that the sink is set on a layer of mortar, a layer of paper and then the plywood top. You can see the mortar sqeezed out when they set the sink in.

After taking the 1/4 round tiles out I'm just wonder how difficult it is going to be to get the sink out.
Unread 10-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

First I would cut the grout out. This will help keep from chipping the tiles that you want to keep. They make masonry cut-off blades for grinders that would work. I sure would want a variable spped grinder so I could slow it down some. There are other ways to cut out grout too, teel us what kind of tools you have. A Dremmell works well with the right bit.

Once the Qround is out, you'll havta chip away at the mud behind the qround. If the sink edge is back under there further, you'll havta start cutting or chipping away at the tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 10-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
peterkw

Thanks for the tips. I just took a chisel to the mud underneath the sink--it isn't very tough stuff. I think that it shouldn't be too difficult to get the sink out.

I don't have a Dremel tool. Maybe this is a good excuse to buy one! The tiles are generic white ones. I'm going to head off to Home Depot right now and see if I can find matching ones.
Unread 10-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

That's a good idea, the white tiles aren't all the same shade. Measure a piece of tile. If it's 4 3/8 instead of 4 1/4, it's Florida tile.

I'm not sure if the Dremmel comes with a 1/16 bit for tile grout. They do sell them seperatly at HD. I just bought a Rotozip yesterday and I didn't see a 1/16 grout bit anywhere, only 1/8.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 11-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #10
djxpress

I'd like to know what became of this as my sink looks almost exactly like the original poster and I'm trying to figure out how to replace mine. I created an original post as well.
Unread 11-29-2019, 12:30 AM   #11
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I don’t think we’ll ever know. The original poster hasn’t been logged on in 12 years.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase