Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
qttire1

Ring stain around marble tile after grouting

I purchased marble tile at the tile shop for my master bathroom. They sold me all the tile and grout and admixtures to go with it. Installed all the tile sealed it twice before grouting then after grouting noticed a ring around all of the tiles. I thought it was just part of the drying process but after two weeks realized it was still there. After researching it seems the admixture from superior is not recommended for natural stone. Has anybody else Had this problem with marble tile and their products. Below are some pics showing the ring with the fulll grouting and then only a partial ring On a partial grouted tile. Name:  45CDFBD3-4C89-40B5-95A2-4C66564E64F9.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  37.2 KB

Name:  6F450479-AAFB-4B0F-A613-89CCF1E4EE6F.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  EA65D517-BE2A-4992-BD95-69BA3E2ED764.jpg
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  B72F3420-7069-4AEA-A081-A69328746339.jpeg
Size:  61.4 KB
Unread 11-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
speed51133

I would try a "wet look" sealer after cleaning the tiles with a stone cleaner.

Cleaner:
https://www.flooranddecor.com/miracl...UaAuZpEALw_wcB

Sealer:
https://www.flooranddecor.com/miracl...sealer&start=2

Hopefully it will blend it all in to make it look all darker, like the stained area. Maybe try it out on a spare tile/scrap piece.

The problem is that discoloration is absorbed throughout the tile's body. It won't just be a surface stain.

The link below shows an example of what a sealer like this will do. Note, the goal here is to darken the tile so it all blends. If you don't like that darker look, I am not sure there is much you can do. I would call Superior to see what they recommend for washing if you want to try to lighten up the stain instead.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/456271005980336622/
Unread 11-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Metropolitan Ceramics

You're definitely wicking (pulling) the liquid out of the grout through the capillary action of the marble. For future reference, seal the edges of the marble (or limestone) before grouting, not just the face. In this case, Mike's advice is the most likely to have some chance of success.
Unread 11-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
qttire1

So if my guy had used regular water to mix the grout instead of the admixture they provided, this probably would not have happened?
Unread 11-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
speed51133

yes, that is correct, but state what kind of grout was used just to be sure.

also, was any kind of sealer applied AFTER grouting to the grout joint?
Unread 11-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
qttire1

the grout that we used was provided by them. I guess Superior does all their products for them.

the grout was superior pro-grout unsanded
Unread 11-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
speed51133

Looks like The Tile Shop sells it, exclusively. https://s7d1.scene7.com/is/content/T...s_01012019.pdf

Just wanted to verify it was cement based and not some kind of plastic or epoxy.

Anyways, doesn't change anything previously stated.
Unread 11-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
qttire1

I've got the regional manager from the tile shop coming out on Friday to inspect the tiles.

I found this guy on another forum that had a similar issue
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/50...after-grouting

I have talked with a bunch of tile contractors and none of them have seen this issue but then again none of them use admixtures they only use water with the grout.
Unread 11-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

How long has it been? The stone I used in my tub surround took almost two weeks to return to their normal color after installation. What I found is that the 'wet' look actually made the stone more impressive. I used an enhancing sealer on them that made that darker look essentially permanent. If you've got a spare tile, you might take it, soak in in a tub of water overnight to see what it looks like, and if you like it, try an enhancing sealer. You'd get almost the same test if you wipe it with a wet sponge. I'd try that on that spare tile after it dries out (that could take awhile) before proceeding with the whole thing.

But, if you're right about the manufacturer saying not to use the admix with a stone tile, and you don't like it, it's the shop/installer's error and they should fix it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #10
qttire1

Its been a little over 3 weeks since the grout was put on. The regional mgr came to my house today and he asked to see what mortar was used. I showed him a bucket of mapei pre-mixed that my contractor left and he said that was the cause. He said the premix stuff caused the problem and I should have used the powder thin set and mixed it with water. I told him I did not think that was the issue. He gave me some super stain remover to try and fix it. After he left I called my contractor and he told me he only used that on the walls because it is stickier and used versa bond on the floor that is how he always does it. I emailed the mgr back letting him know we used approved thinset on the floor and now waiting on his response.

I told him that he sold me the tile, the grout, the sealer and the admixture but there was never any mention about a certain type of thinset. I asked why they did not sell me the thinset and he did not have a answer.
Unread 11-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

Did he set the same natural stone tiles on your walls with the organic adhesive, Brian?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #12
qttire1

Honed marble tile scratches

Finished bathroom tile but got a few scratches in a couple tiles in the process. Is there anything to remove the scratches without ripping them up and replacing them.
Attached Images

Unread 11-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Ah...bummer.

Marble is not a tough material. You can either: 1) Polish/hone enough of the material away to remove the scratches, 2) Try visually masking the scratches with an enhancing sealer (this could prove risky and would require testing on some scraps), or 3) Replace the tile.

Can you give us an update on your previous issue? Did the ‘picture framing’ staining dissipate?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #14
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

It appears that your tile has a honed finish. If it were a high polish, it would be harder to try to match. But, while marble in the scheme of things isn't all that hard, it is harder than wood. Should you decide to sand the scratches out, it will take awhile, eating up sandpaper fairly quickly. Just don't end up scratching others with the sandpaper along the way.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #15
qttire1

update to previous issue... regional rep came by and gave me some super stain remover in a powder form that he told me to mix up in silly putty format and spread over stain and leave for 48 hours. I have done that and removed it, problem with removing it was it hardened up and the can said to use a plastic scraper to remove the excess. The problem with that was the plastic scraper scratched the tile, so I wont be doing that. There is still a dark ring around the stain guessing from the super stain remover pulling everything up, so waiting to see if that drys and the stain is gone.

As for the scratches if I go the sandpaper route is this effective and if so what type of sandpaper do I need and any special tools or just by hand. I was hoping for maybe some type of colored wax like they do for cars that could be put on to mask it and then seal over top of that.

It looks like leaning more towards ripping them up and replacing but my fear is damaging others in the process.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase