Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #1
Sfjjoker

Kerdi flood test failed

First time poster, first time kerdi system user DIY. I installed the system over green board, followed all instructions, used kerdi all set by instructions on the bag. Cured 48 hours. Performed flood test and in about 12 hours noticed water seeping under the wall. I obviously made a mistake, I have a corner piece that appear to have pulled out from the top a bit. How do I fix it? I can’t figure out how to add more than one pic. I have more. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  69.5 KB
Unread 06-24-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You've got a lot of thinset. Were you using a trowel with the recommended notch size? Next time, it also can help to use a sponge to clean up some of the excess along with the flat side of the trowel. When doing a corner, to keep it a sharper crease, it helps to use a second trowel or drywall taping knife, or something similar to hold the material into the corner while you embed the material to the underlying surfaces. It's hard to tell from here, but it also looks like it was mixed a bit stiff. It can't be runny, but you do need to use the amount of water it calls for and mix it the specified time. That will make the stuff much smoother, more like mayonnaise than peanut butter.

Kerdi obtains its ability to minimize wicking when the fleece interact between layers. If there's too much thinset there, or a gap, that can't happen. It doesn't look like you have the Kerdiband up the corners between sheets all the way. That is important.

I think that I'd call Schluter and maybe see if you can get their local rep to help out. Not sure about the best way to clean this up, but I'm sure there's a way.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Sfjjoker

Jim, thank you for the reply. I did use a schluter trowel 1/8 square as recommended, I mixed exactly as recommended and it took just over 3 hours to install so by the time I got to this corner the pot life (while still in recommended time) may have been stretched. This corner overlaps by 6” so I did not put a vertical in place. I used a 6”tape knife and the flat of the trowels on the edges but this one was giving me issues.

Can I take out the corner and try to reseal or is there another way to seal without pulling the whole thing?
Unread 06-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I like to not mix more thinset than I can use within an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Keep in mind what curing means with a cement based thinset...the water allows the cement particles to start a chemical change which literally causes them to grow crystalline spikes. Those grow in random orientations and literally interlock sort of like velcro, but are very rigid and will shatter if stressed before the whole assembly gets stable during curing.

You can put another layer over what you have as long as you get the fleece-to-fleece coverage at least the 2", which may mean using some sheet versus banding. Now, how best to minimize the buildup, I'll leave that to others. I think the Schluter tech support people will have some ideas for you if you call, and, if you're lucky, their area rep may be able to help out. The call is free.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Sfjjoker

Great tips, thank you
Unread 06-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

If it were me, I would use some Kerdi-fix on the gap and maybe the edge of some of the seams. I don't think they recommend that but you've got to get the thing to hold water.

New DIYTileGuy blog post: What everyone wishes they knew about Self-Leveling Underlayment
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase