Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
dmill8023

Kitchen Floor Remodel

My wife and I have taken on a full kitchen remodel including the floor. Our project required we go to the subfloor during demo and then build it back up to remove a "hump" in our floor.

Our contractor removed that hump, leveled it out and then his team installed the cement board and tile. He claimed his tile guy was the best but at the end of our project we disagree. Contractor installed 12x24 tiles, 1/8" grout lines and used 1/3 offset brick pattern. The end result was a number of egregious instances of lippage , none uniform grout lines, rushed grout lines and in our opinion a sloppy job.

We have requested our contractor fix the majority of area where these instances occurred. Are we in the right to do so? We feel the job was not completed to our satisfaction as the tile is the eye sore of the room.
Attached Images

Unread 08-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
Radas
Tile Newbie

I would demand the affected tiles be removed and replaced. It looks like a lot of the lippage could have been avoided by using a tile leveling system such as Raimondi.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
mark999

How long has the tile been down? What is a rushed grout line? How many tiles are you talking about. The pics do not show very well but it looks like the grout is low and splochy with different colors.
Unread 08-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Our contractor removed that hump, leveled it out and then his team installed the cement board and tile.
I'd be interested in knowing how he removed that hump.

Second, there is no requirement at all for the floor to be level, but for your large format tiles the flatness requirement is no deviation from intended plane of more than 1/8th" in ten feet nor 1/16th" in two feet. That's a very, very flat floor and not an easy thing to accomplish.

1. Do you know if they achieved such flatness?

Allowable lippage on a ceramic tile installation is a measurement of the un-eveness of the tile edges measured in addition to the inherent warpage of the tiles.

2. Were your tiles very, very flat when they began the installation?

3. What is the maximum lippage you can measure between tile edges?

I can't tell much about your grout joints from your photos, but the recommendation is that the joint width be three times the difference in size of the identical tiles in the layout.

4. Do you know how much size variation you had in your tiles?

Let's start with that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase