Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-06-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
jboyles

Jon's Master Bath Remodel

Hello all,

I'm embarking on a bathroom remodel in my first home and want to make sure I'm doing everything as correctly as I can. Our master bathroom is typical for this area with a large footprint tub and tiny shower stall next to it. My plan is to remove the tub and shower and make one large shower without a door that takes up most of the original shower/tub space. I'm planning on using Schluter products and getting everything very waterproofed, but I've got a large 46" square window right where the shower area will be located. Will it be enough to tear out everything around the shower and use Kerdi Board/Band and maybe Kerdi Fix around the window? I'm open to suggestions, but hoping to not get into replacing/changing out the window if I can help it. Thanks! I've attached an image of the area in question.

Jon
Attached Images

Last edited by jboyles; 05-06-2018 at 07:21 AM.
jboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Jon.

My opinion only. I would either do away with the window altogether or convert it to a smaller, higher, window that is centered in the new shower.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
jboyles

Thanks John!

I was afraid of that answer. That will expand the scope of this project a bit. I think I'll have to redo the siding on that part of the house if I go that route.

Is it just too risky because of the size/location of the window to attempt to waterproof around it? I would be locating the shower head to the right wall above where the tub is in the photo.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #4
jboyles

Ok, lets say I will replace the window. When I replace it, is there some type of additional waterproofing/flashing I should put in with the window before I put up the Kerdi board/banding to seal up before tiling?
Old 05-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
Jsmallberries

I did a similar remodel and I regret not changing the full size window for a screened horizontal slider type window, much higher up. I wanted to keep the window for the light and ventilation but I couldn't deal with another dimension to an already complicated project (for me) and didn't have the funds at the time

I replaced a failed green board typical builder tract house special, with durarock, water proofed with Laticrete Hydro barrier. So it's as good as it can be, but not really a great idea to have a full size window in the zone that gets wet every time you take a shower.

I'm satisfied the way it came out
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2018, 05:34 AM   #6
JerseyDIYguy

If you decide to keep the existing window you should be OK. Since it's a single, non-moving pane it's likely you can waterproof it adequately so you won't have any issues.

What is the window frame made of? Can you post some closer pics of the frame at a bottom corner?

Is the existing glass tempered? I'm not sure what the building code requirements are in your area, but depending on height above the floor it might be a requirement for new construction.

Can you give us an idea of the planned shower configuration? Will the plumbing remain about where it is in your picture?

Last edited by JerseyDIYguy; 05-07-2018 at 05:41 AM.
JerseyDIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #7
jboyles

The current window is a tempered aluminum window. If I could keep it with no concern, great. But, I have a feeling that it would be the weak point in the Kerdi system I’ll use. I have tentatively decided to frame out the window and put a 48x12” window there instead. That would put the sill height above my head. Here is the bottom corner of the window.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  63.6 KB

As for the shower configuration, I’m planning on the shower to be in the footprint that the tub was in. The drain location of the tub will work with a linear drain without any modification. I’ll be hiring a plumber to bring the plumbing up the wall with a normal shower head. Where the small shower stall was, my idea was to bring whatever new bathroom tile I purchase over that area and plug up the drain and water lines as we won’t use them. See picture here:
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  35.5 KB

The red line is the linear drain. Yellow is the rough area of the shower. Blue is the pane of glass to enclose the shower. The black on the left would be filing over the original shower drain. As you can see, there will be major water contact with the original window if left as is with the new shower head on the right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by cx; 05-31-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Jon, I did a similar shower remodel for a customer some years ago and as far as I know there has been no failure. And yes, she would have called me! I built the house for them nearly 30 years ago and have remodeled parts of it twice.

It was one of my first Kerdi system showers and it was a very similar fixed-glass aluminum framed window arrangement. After all the prep work, including creating a sloped window sill, I Kerdied it all, bonding the Kerdi to the window frame with Kerdi Fix. We installed a rod above the window with a shower curtain they can pull across the window when the shower is in use. I don't know if they actually use it.

While not the best of all options, I'd not hesitate to do it again using similar methods (I'd elect to use USG's Durock Shower Membrane). Re-sizing the window in my remodel was a poor option due to the custom rockwork on the exterior of the house. Not impossible, but something we wanted to avoid.

Name:  DSC00607.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  32.6 KB

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 05-07-2018 at 03:24 PM.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
jboyles

Thanks so much CX! I feel better about leaving the window. I can definitely replace it, but if I don't need to, that would be great.

I've spent a lot of time looking at resources for installing the Schluter system. Just watched a video with the Durock products that look essentially the same. Is it just a personal preference for you to use the Durock products? How would that compare cost-wise to Kerdi shower system?

Jon
Old 05-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #10
cx
Da Home Builder

Personal preference, Jon. I've used both and the USG membrane is substantially thinner and easier to use. With that membrane the build-up in corners is less and I don't recommend their pre-made corners. Putting a dab of pookey in the "vortex" of the corners can make you feel better, but properly folded corners are quite adequate for waterproofing.

For "pookey" I still prefer KerdiFix to anything else I've used in that application.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #11
jboyles

You keep mentioning the membrane. I was going to use the foam boards. My only hesitation is they are quite expensive. I had planned to go the foam board route because I likely won’t have any help and figured the foam would be real easy to hang. I suppose drywall wouldn’t be so bad to do alone and then put the membrane sheets over that. Cost is probably much lower as well.

Last edited by cx; 05-31-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #12
cx
Da Home Builder

Cost will be substantially lower. I nearly always work alone and installing sheet waterproofing membranes is not at all difficult.

I would consider the foam boards very expensive when labor's free.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #13
jboyles

Oh I more meant about difficulty in the weight of cement board.

Although, now I think saving money on that would be nice. I’ve been mistaken on the price of the Kerdi-Line drain and it looks like it’ll be $500-600. I really like the look of the Durock system, but it’s very difficult to find pricing online to compare. I’ll have to find a distributor and call to see if their linear system is less.

Last edited by cx; 05-31-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #14
HooKooDoo Ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyles
I have tentatively decided to frame out the window and put a 48x12” window there instead. That would put the sill height above my head. Here is the bottom corner of the window.
Before changing the window size, make sure to check with local building codes.
In some jurisdictions, you're required to pull a permit just to change out a window. Changing the size of the window could be considered a structural change that also would require a permit and require all your changes be up to date with modern codes, not the codes in place when the structure was built.

Additionally, building codes usually require a certain amount of window space (for light in all rooms, and ventilation in a bathroom) or a certain amount of lighting and exhaust fans if the window isn't appropriately sized.

If you live in city limits, your city likely has local building inspectors. A call to their office should be enough to determine IF you need a building permit and are any considerations regarding lighting, ventilation, possible electrical requirements.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #15
jboyles

Thanks for the heads up! I think I’ll be leaving the window as-is at this point.

Last edited by cx; 05-31-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase