Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #76
greenjp

Tiling complete and about 95% of the grouting is done!

Holy cow I made a huge mess when grouting the walls. Easily as much ended up on the floor, and subsequently in the trash, as made it into the joints. That said I'm very happy with how it looks and aside from my lousy skills/lack of experience resulting in so much mess I found the Flexcolor CQ easy to use. What Mapei should do is package this stuff in tubes for caulk guns. I've found a handful of small spots where I didn't clean out the mortar as well as I thought that'll require a little scraping and reapplying but nothing major. That and grouting the curb is all that's left. With that done it'll be on to installing the door frame, caulking, hanging the doors and that'll be it.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2018, 12:52 PM   #77
greenjp

Well everybody, it is essentially complete. I'm waiting on a bit of touched up grout to get its 7 days of time before exposure to water, and for a new cartridge to show up (had to use a hacksaw and drill to remove the old shower handle), but I expect to take the first shower on Saturday. It passed a multi-day flood test many months ago so I'm hoping nothing's changed Thanks for all the help

Phase 2 of this project is going to be the bathroom floors and vanity - it seems like starting a new thread for those would be appropriate, or should I just continue this one?
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #78
greenjp

Yesterday my wife was taking a shower and one of the doors spontaneously exploded into about a million pieces. Fortunately most of the pieces aren't sharp so she only ended up with about 10 tiny cuts. Kohler's not open on the weekend so it'll have to wait to see how they're going to handle it.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #79
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Sorry to hear that, Jeff. Glad she's okay. Is there a warranty on the glass?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #80
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Whoa.

Glad she's ok Jeff. That would have scared me to death.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #81
Gozo

Hi Jeff, I must be a name thing. Same thing happened to me a few weeks after my shower door install. Middle of the night “pow! sloosh!” and a flood of glass pieces all over the place. No one was in the room at the time, so no injuries. The heavy metal roller did chip a floor mosaic tile piece, but that’s life.
It was a Vigo brand door glass and they replaced it without any issue (aside from the shipping time from China - seriously). From what I’ve read, tempered glass can have microscopic stress risers that can trigger a crack from temperature changes, vibration, or just the weight on the mountings. Seems to a totally random occurrence. Might be 3 days later, or 300 years down the road.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #82
greenjp

Kohler's warranty is 1 year from the date of installation, so hopefully they roger up and send out a new one without any hassle.

I was just outside the room. The pop was quite loud, my wife yelled, I go in and I'm like WTH? Quite a scene. Quickly determined she was pretty much OK and that the shards weren't sharp, so I swept up the stuff outside the shower and put a towel down for the water spray, and she finished her shower!

Ironically today I'm going to be removing the old mirror and getting the vanity top taken out in preparation for taking the vanity out and tearing up the floor next weekend (see my other thread). It never ends!
Old 07-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #83
rmckee84

That's funny Gozo, I had a Vigo door blow up during install. Cut me up pretty good since the whole top half of the door went down on my arms...the sent a new one right away though.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #84
greenjp

Good news and bad news - I called Kohler and after providing a bit of info and a few measurements (wall to wall distance at threshold and upper frame) they are sending out a replacement door. I guess they wanted to make sure I hadn't installed out of spec.

Bad news is she said it might take 28 days! I guess I'll get a cheap curtain and hang it off the upper frame.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #85
makethatkerdistick

So sorry to hear this. Aside from the minor injuries, the shock alone is pretty unsettling. Apropos of Kohler: They replaced my three year old shower doors because of corrosion issues. They were pretty helpful even after the warranty period.

This is supposed to be a rare event but there are quite a few folks who I know to whom this has happened.

I guess it could happen with any tempered glass but I wonder whether the thicker glass is a bit more immune to this. From the looks of it, Jeff, it seems like you have 1/4 in glass. I have both, showers with 1/4 in and 3/8 in glass. I like the 3/8 in better as it is much more rigid. But again, this might not matter.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:12 AM   #86
greenjp

It is a 1/4" door. Not having a good sense of what actually caused the failure, a 3/8" panel might help, or it might just result in a 50% larger pile of shattered glass all over the floor

I googled "shattered shower door" and got many hits including standard issue local evening "news you can use" type stories about it. It seems quite absurd but apparently it's not uncommon. The two nice US-based Kohler customer service ladies I spoke with seemed like they had experience taking this sort of call.

The bummer is that due to the assembly order, I'll have to remove the remaining door, take off the side frame covers, pull the threshold, and the center guide. Then reassemble it all starting with the new door. It shouldn't take long but will require a bunch of scraping and cleaning of the caulk to get it ready for new beads.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:53 AM   #87
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Isn't just shower doors Jeff. When we remodeled our kitchen several years ago we installed a brand new Bosch oven. Used it a couple of times then one day, while making a cup of coffee mid morning, I heard a muffled BAM, followed by rain. The inner glass panel exploded - the oven wasn't even on.

Bosch replaced it under warranty, no questions. Still an unsettling sound to hear.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:31 PM   #88
greenjp

It took a few more weeks than I expected but the new door arrived today. I guess Kohler didn't have any spares, because they sent a complete new door, both panels, the frames, everything.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase