Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
tstex

Looking for quality sanded caulk...

Hello to all,

The install below is in our backyard where the grout is missing btw the Austin Stone columns and the tumbled travertine floor. This was completed in Nov of 2014.

Willing to remove the remaining material if required to provide a uniform look based on what is used to fill the gaps.

The third pic is a close up for the grout in general. I also need to fill in some other others where the grout has broken or separated at the top.

Looking for something that is flexible, durable, outdoor rated and isn't a bear to install and comes in diff colors to match. If you have any questions, pls let me know Thank you
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
Kman

Tom, you'll want to use 100% silicone since it's outside. The latex acrylic caulk just won't hold up.

I usually buy through GroutGetter.com. They have pretty much every manufacturer and every color.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Well, all caulk is "quality," Tom. I'm guessing you're looking for a good quality product rather than a low quality one?

Best source I know of for sanded 100 percent silicone sealant is ColorRite. I suppose you could send them a sample of your mortar and get a custom match (likely for much more dinero), but easier would be for you to find a tile grout color to match and just send them the grout manufacturer and color name.

That said, your application is a place where I would leave the gap void of any mortar or sealant at all. Or at least leave some openings for water drainage if you just can't live with the sight of the open joint.

[Edit] Or that place fast-finger Kevin recommended. I've not heard of those folks.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
tstex

Kevin and CX, thank you.

Are the products you are recommending, do they contain caulk/silicone and grout mixture? I'm looking for something that you would install from a caulk gun, but also have the appearance of a grit or grout look, to an extent. Point taken on the breakdown of regular caulk.

As far as drainage CX, the heavy rains are fewer than expected and we receive a lot of sun in this area, even in the winter since it faces the south horizon.

Thanks again, tom
Old 07-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Look at the link I posted, Tom. I believe the ColorSil product comes in standard 10oz caulking gun tubes.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase