Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
tim_pollard

Installing Granite Countertops

Hi, I'm new here and needed some advice before we move forward. After reading many of the threads that have similar questions I seem to be running into different answers so I wanted to post my question here. We live in a house built in 1974 and are about to redo our kitchen. Currently there is a slope or dip in our kitchen floor. We've had a structural engineer tell us that there isn't anything structurally wrong with the house, but it could use some secondary supports under the kitchen since the 1974 design didn't account for modern refrigerators, etc.

I currently have no additional support in but am considering something since the countertops we are installing are 3cm granite. Most of the load is against the walls but there is a peninsula (roughly 70 inches) in the U-shaped design, running into the center of the kitchen. Much of the dip is in this area. Top of the current floor cabinets have pulled away from the wall roughly 3/4" so I'm guessing the dip in my floor is about this depth. The new cabinetry will be installed level using shims but is it best to add a beam under these joists to support the additional weight of the granite, sistering boards, or is it probably ok since the total load is spread? For my sanity, I tend to lean more toward a beam to support those joists, but wanted to get some advice before we do anything. I calculated the "Deflecto" and it came back with L/302. I have 12' 2X8 pine with cross supports at 6' (which I know don't do much for support) so not sure if that matters in answering this question. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The top of the base cabinets have pulled away from the wall by 3/4? Tim? That would induce a whole lotta "whoa" in my mind.

Regardless, sistering the existing joists would stiffen things up, but won't remove the sag. I'd seriously consider adding a support beam mid span AND using it to jack up/level the floor, especially if you plan to tile the floor.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
tim_pollard

Thanks, Dan. I will probably plan to do that but not sure I can completely get the dip out of the floor because of some additional work that has already been done before we decided to do this.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
If you have end-to-end access to the joists below - or even almost end to end, I'd be inclined to use a tight string to get an idea how much they've sagged. Place a nail 1 inch up from the bottom of the joist - one at each end, then run a string between the two tightly. Then just measure from the bottom of the joist to the string at various spots.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase