Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-01-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
Crickett

Starting to Tile the Shower (Yikes!)

Hello all you learned, opinionated ones.

Tiling seems so easy when you read about it, (Ha!), but now that I'm getting into it I'm a bit nervous. I'm SUCH a newbie! Before I start I have some questions that I couldn't find answers for in my reading. In my shower I'm using 6" American Olean Porcelain tile, with "Versabond Fortified Polymer Modified" thinset on a mud floor and 3 Durock walls. I'm planning on 1/8" grout lines and using sanded grout.

1. Is this the appropriate type of thinset? Everywhere I've read for a shower you should use latex additive. Is this the same thing? I don't see latex printed anywhere on the bag.

2. How much thinset should I mix up for the first batch? I've never done this and I expect to be slow.

3. Any tips for clean up?

4. I know to let it all dry for at least 24 hours before applying grout. Can I let it dry for weeks until I finish the entire shower? (I hope it won't take that long but you never know. I gotta watch the kids too.) Or should I grout-as-I-go?

And the biggest problem:
5. We installed a niche for shampoos and because of a diagonal piece of wood behind it the niche sticks out about 1/2" in the wall instead of flush. I'm afraid this is going to be a problem to tile. Suggestions? (besides "don't do it") I'm planning on doing 1/4 rounds around the edge which will meet up with the wall field tile. Beyond that I have to wing it. Ideas? Pitfalls?

Thanks for your ideas.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-01-2004, 05:00 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Crickett, welcome.
If you haven't yet look in the liberry under shower construction, lots of info there.
1 White Versabond is fine, it has the additives already in it, just add water.
2 Don't mix much at first, as much as a inch of water would make in a bucket should get you going.
3 Keep a bucket of water and sponge handy at all times.
4 The tile can be left ungrouted until you're finished tiling.
5 Sounds like you'll need to double up the tile for it to reach the niche. Is the niche already installed? Im not exactly sure what would be the best way to do this, maybe the quarter round will look okay. That or a skinny bullnose piece.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2004, 05:40 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Couldn't move niche or notche board?Be a lot easier and less likely to crack.Other than that Dave is right on. As most Daves' are.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

That last statement is also right on.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-01-2004, 06:05 PM   #5
Crickett

Thanks for the tips, Daves. The niche is installed already and is there to stay. I just have to make it look good now. I can post a pitcher if it'll help (and if I can figure out how to do it). And yes I've read most of the liberry.
Unread 05-01-2004, 06:12 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

A picher always helps, that would be nice.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Crickett, Welcome.

Your picture has to be a jpeg or gif and less than 51 KB. Click the browse button at the bottom of the text field and find the pic in your conputer. Double click it and then post it. Do NOT try to preview the post. For some reason, that will erase the picture.

If you need a free photo editor to downsize your pics, download Irfanview. http://www.irfanview.com
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2004, 06:07 PM   #8
Crickett

Here's a partial picture of the niche that I'm not looking forward to tiling. It's from Bonsal, a referral I got off this site. I'm thinking of putting 1/4 rounds around the edges which will meet up with the wall tile. I think it'll work, but I haven't laid it out yet. And, put corner 1/4 rounds on the corners. What's wrong with my plan?
Attached Images

Unread 05-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Quarter rounds will probably work fine. I would hold some tiles up there against the wall to make sure. The inside radius of a standard Q-round is 3/8, you'll have 1/4. It'll probably still work.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-30-2004, 04:09 PM   #10
Crickett

HEEEEELP! I'm stuck! I've been tiling on and off for a couple of weekends. Two problems:

The first picture is the entire niche. I'm stuck as to how to tile the center bar where it meets the side face of the niche. The tile I'm using has rough edges which don't look good if left exposed. So I'm planning on using bullnoses. Ideas on how to get it all to meet? I've searched for pictures on this forum and found a few, but nothing quite like my problem.

The second picture is a close up of the QRounds as it turns the outside corners. How do I tile the shower wall around the round corner? We cut an L shaped piece to fit but there was too much space and looked bad. Then we cut another L piece with a rounded corner on the inside which looked better using straight cuts (fun!) because the hole saw didn't work on the porcelain tile. That made the tile very thin around that corner.

How would you tiling pros do these problems?
Attached Images

Unread 05-30-2004, 04:19 PM   #11
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

You'll have to cut the L in your tile but not all the way through to meet each other so you'll have a 1/2 inch in the middle you'll have to break out then saw into it to make your circle around your 1/4 round.Same thing with the other niche cuts,i would put the bullnose on the inside of nitche not picture frame then cut to them.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2004, 06:44 PM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

You do as Dave says. Make the "L" cuts but leave a little meat in the corners to conform to the roundness of the quarter-round.

And this is for others who might read this thread. A bit late for Cricket.

The Bonsal niche should have been set back flush with the cement backer board. Placing it on top of the cement board created the problem.

Cricket, it's going to look great when you're finished. Just a little more work this way.
Unread 05-30-2004, 09:10 PM   #13
Crickett

Thanks for the help.
I've done a tester "rounded L" just like you describe and it's o.k. Once I get it installed and finished it'll look good (I hope). I thought about putting a tile piece in that little spot but I think the L will be better.

btw, the niche wasn't installed on top of the backerboard, it's set in, but there was a diagonal framing piece behind it that prevented the niche from being flush. If it had been flush I would be done with the whole shower by now! Oh well... I'll post a finished picture (unless it turns out really bad!) just for laughs.
Unread 05-31-2004, 07:16 AM   #14
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Oh yeah, now I remember your saying something about the diagonal brace being in the way. Looks like you're handling the situation. I guarantee you, when you get the cuts in and get them grouted it will look great. I know you'll love it, and people will think you went to all that trouble just to be fancy.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase