Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-27-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
NateSpilker

Mistakes

First, thanks to all for this forum. It's great.

I'm nearly done with building our new bathroom (at least that's what I tell my 6.5-month-pregnant wife). Grouting, painting, toilet and vanity installation is all that remains. Unfortunately, I didn't start my project with the vast knowledge available in this forum. So, here are a couple of issues regarding some obvious mistakes I've made:

1. I used gray Thinset, anticipating using a darker grout. Once I installed the tiles in the walk-in shower and bathroom floor, we decided a lighter grout (Antique White) would look the best. I tried my best to clean the grout during installation, but there are plenty of spots of remaining gray Thinset. I've painstakingly scraped, cut and plucked, but I obviously can't get it all. If I proceed with the light grout, can I expect significant discoloration? I can live with a little, but if it's going to look terrible, I'll try to convince myself and my wife that the darker grout is the way to go.

2. I did not install a vapor barrier behind the hardibacker boards of the shower. The back side of the walls in the adjoining room are still open, though. Would it help to put vapor barrier between the studs of the exposed wall, or is that just a waste of time? Or is there another solution?

3. I installed 1X1 natural tiles on the floor of the shower. The joints vary between 1/16 and 3/16 of an inch. Should I use sanded or unsanded grout? Or both? Maybe carefully fill the smaller joints with unsanded first. Let them cure and then do the rest in sanded? Also, what's the best way to seal the grout with 1X1 tiles? Do you spnge it on, then just wipe off the excess?

Thank you all for the forum. I've learned a lot - I just hope it's not all too late.

- Nate
NateSpilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-27-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
mrjetskey

1) i can answer the first question ,as long as no thinset is showing above the top of thr grout you will be ok,if there is a whole lot of thinset or if it is way to high like you didnt use the spacer to wipe it out ,you can always use a little hand type grout saw and with just a few strokes remove the offending thinset,the reason i can answer is i did not read or know about this site B4 my first tile job,hence I used grey thinset with white tiles and antique white grout,no problems as long as no thinset is up above the top of the grout or peeking out on tile edges etc.i dont think it will stain or bleed through your grout.
3) i would use sanded grout and just work it very well in the joints,HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
Unread 04-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
bbcamp

Hi, Nate!

1) Get the thinset down below about 1/2 to 2/3s the tile thickness, and you should be fine.

2) Paint the surface (shower side) of the hardibacker with 2 coats of a surface waterproofer, such as Redgard.

3) Sanded grout and elbow grease.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
jdm

Bob --

The shower is already tiled without a vapor barrier. He's looking for suggestion that can be done from the undrywalled other side of the wall.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
bbcamp

Oh. In that case, I dunno.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
DonB

Quote:
1. I used gray Thinset, anticipating using a darker grout. Once I installed the tiles in the walk-in shower and bathroom floor, we decided a lighter grout (Antique White) would look the best. I tried my best to clean the grout during installation, but there are plenty of spots of remaining gray Thinset. I've painstakingly scraped, cut and plucked, but I obviously can't get it all. If I proceed with the light grout, can I expect significant discoloration? I can live with a little, but if it's going to look terrible, I'll try to convince myself and my wife that the darker grout is the way to go.
Nate,

If you have any thinset near the top surface of the tiles (where grout and tile will meet), it may hide most of the time but will show up prominently when wet.

Don
DonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #7
geniescience

Scouring pad and water

I used gray thinset, Mapei Kerabond and Keralastic liquid.

If you scratch out most of it, you'll still see a lot when you grout, like strips stuck to the edge of the tile and grout line.

The wetter it gets the easier it is to scrub off the edges of tiles. So if you have time, wet all the tiles and scour the edges with something hard like a kitchen scouring pad. Grout on another day, when everything has dried. If you still see a few pieces when grouting they can be removed then too.
geniescience is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase