Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

out of plumb and non flat walls

i am doing a shower with 12x12 polished marble and have no lippage but my question is i did not install the framing nor cbu. niether was shimmed or flattened they thought the shower walls were going to be ceramic, some of my wall tiles are not perfectly flat and plumb due to the walls, how much could i have taken out with the tiles? some areas were not flat by 1/2inch in 4feet. i installed marble but had the owner sign off that i did not frame and cbu. i normally shim and shave studs for stone such as marble. how plumb for glass that has two hinges. walls look good but top tiles stick off walls by 3/8 inch so no lippage. whats more important no lippage or flat and plumb?
kevjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Ya gotta have the whole package, man.Plumb, level, and flat.I use a mix of thinset, and fatmud, between a layer of thinset,on the stone, and the wall on vertical stone jobs, so i have room to make them right....the wall with framelss glass hanging on it, needs to be plumb,has to be plumb,same thing with the floor under where it swings..everything needs to be within the gudelines in the TCA.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase