Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #91
Kman

You can get an after-market flange and continue the existing one around the corner and to the floor.

I had to buy one online a while back, they're pretty easy to install, but it's best to install it and leave it for a day to let the silicone dry.

I would make sure the lumber is behind the area where the new flange will go. They're pretty flexible, and need some backing for support.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #92
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

When attaching Kerdi to something like a tub flange, KerdiFix is probably the better choice. The stuff sticks to nearly anything and is quite durable. It isn't a finishing material that silicon can be, but is a better adhesive.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2019, 08:05 AM   #93
JWOrl

Thanks Kevin....do you mean something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Comfortf...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The other ones I saw online were all about $150 and there's no way I want to pay that much for this. Thanks.
Unread 10-31-2019, 01:22 PM   #94
JWOrl

I'm not sure if I made a mistake...I removed part of the stud (see photo) because it was rotten in some parts at the bottom).

I was going to fit it with a new partial stud (see photo), securing it with mending braces and toenailing it at the bottom, and then attach a sister stud to the left of it.

But then I was thinking -- if two different pieces of wood are attached vertically as I want to do, will they flex or expand and contract at different rates and amounts -- could it cause future problems with the tile and the boards?

Completely removing and replacing that stud may be difficult because as you can see in the photo there is a small header on top and I think because of the tight space it may be difficult to remove this and reattach the header.

This is a non-load bearing wall.

What would you do here? thanks.
Attached Images

Unread 10-31-2019, 01:39 PM   #95
Kman

Red face

I wouldn't have cut the stud, but rather put one right next to it.

It'll be fine with a sister attached. Don't over-think things.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #96
JWOrl

OK thanks, I'll just stick that new half piece in and then sister a stud next to it.
Unread 11-01-2019, 05:43 AM   #97
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Whatcha gonna do with that other cut off stud, John?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #98
JWOrl

for the other one...i was going to basically do the same thing...sister a stud and toenail it and then attach a piece under the original with cutouts for the plumbing so that something is there.
Unread 11-04-2019, 06:27 PM   #99
JWOrl

The stud in the center with green tape on it "twists" very slightly (not sure if you can tell from the photo)...I measured at different points and there is a variation of about 1/4 inch at various points between this stud and the one next to it...

1) Is it safe to use this stud for the hardiebacker or do I have to sister stud this one? This is a load bearing wall and I'm a little nervous about the idea of removing and replacing the original.

2) When you do a sister stud is it required to toenail (from one side, at least) at the bottom and top or is screwing/nailing from just the sides of the new stud sufficient?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 11-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #100
cx
Moderator emeritus

A bit of bow in that direction is not a problem at all, John, so long as the stud face is straight and in plane with its neighbors.

When sistering studs for non-structural purposes, you can usually get by just fastening the sister to the existing. I would likely toe it into the plates, but it's really not necessary in most cases.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2019, 06:13 AM   #101
JWOrl

Great...thanks CX!...what a lifesaver this place is.
Unread 11-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #102
ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
...what a lifesaver this place is
Right?

You might consider letting (recessing) those nail plates into your studs, John. Leaving them proud of the stud face will result in a hump in your wall board, which I think will be noticeable so close to the top of the tub.

Also, be sure that nail plate in left corner isn't rubbing on your PEX supply lines.
Unread 11-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #103
JWOrl

Thanks Dan...the plates are recessed now (don't if you can tell from the photo). I used a chisel and dremel. But I'll double check to make sure I didn't miss any.
Unread 11-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #104
JWOrl

What do you guys think about grout color choice? I wanted to use a gray grout (also planning to paint walls gray) to give the white subway tiles some contrast but someone said using a non-white grout will show any errors in the tile layout, etc...is this a serious concern or will my plan work? Thanks.
Unread 11-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #105
ss3964spd

Someone is correct, John, contrasting grout colors will tend to make any irregularities in tile setting more visible. The higher the contrast, the more visible. IMO, I think a very light gray grout with those white SW's would look great, refined even, without being too contrasting.

Grays can be tough, I struggled with mine.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase