Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-29-2020, 07:16 AM   #211
JWOrl

Dan I'll have to check when I go back over to the rental house...

I've found a thread about this problem on the Terry Love forum...apparently I'm not the only one to have this issue, and unfortunately for some they found out too late after they put up their CBU and tile...luckily I haven't done that...I'll post again if I can't resolve this from the TL thread.
Unread 04-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #212
JWOrl

I decided to hang the CBU over the tub flange instead of above it, because of the Moen valve length issue.

I called Kohler first to see if it is acceptable to bring the CBU down to the Kohler Villager tub deck rather than have it above the flange (as is shown in their instruction manual diagram).

She told me it was ok but the CBU should stop no more than 1/16 inch above the deck. I told her I thought the recommendation was 1/4 inch above the surface but she insisted 1/16.

A gap of only 1/16 will not allow for the "wedgie" that CX recommended when using the 5 inch wide Kerdi band fabric and mortar to seal the transition from tub deck to CBU. Should I go with 1/16 or stick with 1/4 inch? And am I still required to use fabric if it's coming all the way to the tub deck instead of overhanging the flange? Thanks.
Unread 04-07-2020, 08:50 AM   #213
cx
Moderator emeritus

John, you would only want the wedgie if you stopped the wallboard above the tiling flange and covered the gap with a sheet-type waterproofing membrane. If you're now bringing your wallboard down to the tub deck on the drain side of the tiling flange, that's no longer a consideration. I'd stop the wallboard at least 1/8th-inch above the tub deck. Her 1/16th-inch is a bit tight to my thinking.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #214
JWOrl

Thanks CX. I should still use the kerdi band fabric and Kerdi fix to seal the 1/8 gap between the tub deck and CBU, right?
Unread 04-08-2020, 07:40 AM   #215
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
In that case, John, I don't think there's anything to gain by using the Kerdi band. I'd just silicone caulk that 1/8" gap, and pay special attention to where the CBU rounds the bend from the tub deck to the tub apron. There's no flange there so you'll want to maintain no more than 1/8"; it's a very failure prone spot.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #216
JWOrl

Thanks Dan...it will be a relief to have to fool around with the Band although I'll have to resell my Kerdi Band and Kerdi Fix online somewhere (too late to return to store).

I'll be careful with the 1/8 inch gap...I've also added some extra wood blocking in that area where the curve starts towards floor on the tub.
Unread 04-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #217
JWOrl

Hello again.

I followed Hardie's rules and put the Backer On screws 2 inches from corner and more than 3/8 from edge. Every time I tried it it ended up cracking the CBU. They went in fine in the middle of the board though.

Unless there is some secret method of doing this correctly with the backer on
screws, I think my options are:

1) add a sister stud on each side of that middle wall so that there is an extra 1 inch space from there edge where the screw will go in
2) use roofing nails at the edge areas and stick with backer on screws in the interior of the board
3) something else I haven't thought of.

Opinions? Thanks.
Attached Images

Unread 04-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #218
smifwal

#2 is good

you could predrill the with a counter sink bit
It is the pressure from trying to counter sink the screw that is causing the cracking

Also this is one of the many reasons that I don't use Hardie backer
Unread 04-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #219
JWOrl

Shawn, thank you!

After your post and also consulting with James Hardie co. on the phone I've decided to use the nails in the edge areas.

Can I use these hot dipped galvanized nails in the link below, if I remove the washer from the nail? Is 11 gauge the correct gauge to use for this or do I need something else? Thanks.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Grip-Rite-1...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Unread 04-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #220
Kman

You can use those if you want, or just a normal 1 1/4" roofing nail will work.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #221
JWOrl

Thanks. I was thinking 1.75 inches might be better for penetration into the studs since I have furring strips attached to these studs to shim it out.

Do you pre-drill holes for these nails or just pound them into the board?
Unread 04-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #222
Kman

Yeah, if the studs are further back, use longer nails. Try to get 3/4" into the stud.

It probably wouldn't hurt to drill them out, since they're close to the edge. The diameter of the nail will cause the edge of the board to blow out.

I used Hardibacker for a long time, but the negatives outweighed the positives, especially on walls.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #223
JWOrl

Thanks. I'm not sure if I will use HB again if I ever do one of these again.
Unread 04-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #224
JWOrl

I found a countersink bit that seems to work with the screws on the edges...thanks for the advice.

Do you guys do your pre-drilling (for screws) outside? I've noticed a fair amount of dust gets generated. I've been doing the actual cutting of the boards outside because of the silica dust risk but I'm wondering if pre-drilling inside is a no-no too.
Unread 04-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #225
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I didn't pre-drill the small holes, John, but I did drill counter sinks where needed, just spritzed the bit and board with a spray bottle filled with water.

I simply ran the screws in as normal, but backed them out before the head started to sink. Then used an old tired large bit to counter sink, then ran the screws back in.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase