Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #1
che57vy

How to start tile on shower with slope mud floor

Hello, It has been a while since i tiled a shower,I have a shower that is 5' wide on the back wall 3' wide at the ends 8' height I want to start the bottom four rows with 12" tile on point which will bring me approx four feet up the wall. How would I start the tile to keep it level ? I believe I have to add the bottom row last and cut each tile to fit ? Tony
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-11-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
Mike2

You need to set up a straight edge along the entire length of the wall to provide temporary support for that starter course of tile. Most any straight piece of wood will do, angle iron, aluminum channel, etc.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
che57vy

Thanks Mike,would that be the second course of tiles and fill in the bottom course last to match the profile of the floor? Tony
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
TILMSTR
Florida Tile Contractor

Tony, I use a laser to level out my showers but a level will work just fine. Mark the height where you want the 12" tile to stop. Now measure your tile with grout joints. I do this by laying the tile on the floor, with the proper spacing and transfering the measurement from the shower level line down to the floor. If the floor is level you'll be able to cut all the tiles the same and start tiling from the bottom. If not, take a measurement from both corners, lay out the tiles and mark each measurement on the ends. Then draw a line at the angle between the marks, then cut them. Wedges are great for correcting small differences in the cut tiles.

Also, snap a chalk line on the wall at your marks. That way you can make sure that all your tiles are perfectly level and are at the proper height. This is what I'm doing now in my current project. I've got 200 bathrooms with showers and toliet areas with wainscoating. I set up the entire bathroom with one full tile and the cut at the bottom. That way after that time consuming part is done all I have to do is start stacking full tile.

On edit: Mike posted as I was typing the above. That'll work as well. In my case I've got grout joints that have to match up with my floor tile so I've got to start from the floor.

David
TILMSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Mike2

Yes Tony, the starter course in post #2 above would also be the second course.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase