Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-24-2017, 10:24 PM   #1
jphustman

Vinyl Planks in Bathroom

Hello,

I've been searching for a week now and still have not come up with a definite answer, so I am hoping to get some advice from some real professionals I bought this vanity from Home Depot. We want to put these "Luxury" Vinyl Planks down, but can't find an answer as to put them down after I take the old vanity out and place the new vanity on top of them, or if I should just install the vanity and place these Vinyl Planks down after and 'up to' the vanity and toilet. I don't mind taking the toilet out and installing these planks to the 'donut,' but I don't want to if it is going to 'secure' this floor and cause it to buckle.

So, what are the opinions here? Vinyl Planks first, and then the vanity and toilet -- or install the vanity and keep the toilet in and just install up to and around these things.

Cant post links yet so here are the text links.

Vinyl Planks - home depot dot com /p/Home-Decorators-Collection-6-in-x-36-in-Stony-Oak-Grey-Luxury-Vinyl-Plank-20-34-sq-ft-case-60198/207047495

Vanity - homedepot dot com /p/Glacier-Bay-Woodbrook-30-5-in-W-Vanity-in-White-Washed-Oak-with-Cultured-Marble-Vanity-Top-in-White-with-White-Basin-and-Mirror-WB30P3-WO/300209132

Last edited by cx; 02-25-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Light up links
jphustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-25-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
PetrH

vinyl planks can be installed either way. In new construction I put them down before the cabinets, for renos I cut to the cabinets. Because it's possible to cut planks very precisely, there is little difference. Either way, you need to pay a lot of attention to prep, the floor needs to be 100% perfectly smooth. This is usually done with a combination of sanding and patching and a difficult DIY task. seriously, even a grain of sand is enough to telegraph through some planks.

I always do a full spread of pressure activated adhesive even if the manufacturer rates the planks for loose lay.

I also refuse to install any click together planks, they have proven over and over to be a bad idea.
Unread 03-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
jphustman

Thank you, I am going to replace the vanity first, and then cut the flooring around the vanity, but under the toilet. I will post some before/after pictures. Wish me luck!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase