Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
themaniac

Bathroom renovation

In the middle of bathroom gut/renovation; wish I had found the website 6 months ago! Due to the mold/moisture problems I found (there wasn't even greenboard behind the shower tile, and the exhaust fan vented into the ceiling insulation!), I decided to do the entire bathroom in hardibacker- 1/2" on walls and ceiling, 1/4" on floor. The questions:
- did I overdo it with 1/2" on the ceiling? 2x12 joists, 16" oc, the span is only 6'6, and only the area over the shower will be tiled.
- does Kilz do a good job of priming the hardibacker for painting?
- is premixed thinset ok? especially for the tile above the shower?
Also, I am doing a sloped mud base for the shower membrane and tile. Is there a rule-of-thumb for the amount of water to be added to the cement/sand mix, so that I get the proper consistency? Never did this before!
Finally, the plumbing for the drop-in tub really needs an access panel. The base will also be hardibacker/tile. What's the best way to do the panel, such that it nearly invisible but still relatively easy to remove? THANKS!
themaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

Welcome to the JB Forums,

Visit the 'Liberry' in the dark blue band above. Much info on deck mud.
You should also get John's "Tile Your World" book. It will save you money in the long run.

You can also do a search for access panels

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Well, cbu on the entire surface of a bathroom is overkill, it only needs to be in the shower and the floor, but won't hurt anything except the extra work and cost. Don't use mastic...use thinset, it's cheaper and works better in the long run.

Some people like to spread a thin coat of drywall mud over cbu to help it match drywall texture (i.e., smoother), but, if your entire room is done in it, it may not matter. See what others think about finishing the cbu with paint. Getting all of the screws and seams covered may end up being a pain for painting.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase