Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-11-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
NewAtThis

Needing help

Not sure if this is even the place to start. However maybe someone can guide me in the correct direction. Bought my house about 9 years ago. The main bathroom has I believe to be slate tiles on the floor and shower. About year ago they started flaking off when wet. How do I fix that? Like I need step by step directions lol

First two pics are of the shower. I know it needs new caulk
Last pic is the floor. I know it needs new grout.

Thx for any tips or advice
Attached Images

Unread 04-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Tracy!

I’ll get right to the heart of the matter, even though you’re not likely to be happy to hear it. What’s happening is referred to as spalling. As pretty as some material is, not all of it is suitable for a wet environment. And many of the tiles that look like and are sold as “slate” are not suitable for such. I’ve seen a whole lot of “slate” that’s falling apart in a wet shower. Many of the “slates” being sold today are much closer to very hard mud than they are to actual slate. Unfortunately, there isn’t a sealer or a chemical or a process that can stop this from continuing. The permanent fix is to replace the material that’s suitable.

The pictures aren’t clear enough for me to see, but I’m wondering about the shine. Are the tiles on the floor or in the showers shiny?

And the floor tile that’s missing grout is a big red flag that something has gone wrong. This isn’t a normal “wear item” that needs replacing from time to time. Grout should be permanent and last the life of the installation (easily 50+ years). Usually when grout is missing, it’s an indication that the floor is deflecting too much for the stiff grout to tolerate and causes it to very slowly grind onto itself and powder away. In addition, natural stone on the floor has a special minimal requirement to be twice as strong/stiff as that which is needed for man-made ceramic/porcelain tiles. This requirement to have a floor deflection of L/720 is quite unusual (floor that deflects no more than 1 unit of measurement downward for every 720 units of measurement laterally), as it requires pre-planning of the joists before construction of the house to make them strong enough...very few houses have joists this stiff.

I know this is a lot to take in, so please feel free to come back with any questions.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #3
NewAtThis

The tiles that get no water are shiny but not the ones that come in contact with water
Unread 04-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
fhueston

Only remedy is to tear it out and replace with something suitable
Unread 04-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Tracy,

I have to agree with Bubba. I've seen a lot of sedimentary material that hasn't quite morphed into slate, and it appears that's what you probably have. There is really no cure for it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase