Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-26-2021, 05:34 PM   #1
TomT29

Installing Kitchen Backsplash Over Wavy Wall?

Hi, all,

Found the forums via a Google search and was hoping I might be able to solicit some opinions on a kitchen backsplash project. Briefly: Have a home with an in-law apartment built circa the 1920s. Want to install a backsplash. Two of the three walls look fairly level/flat, but the other has a "valley" that looks to be about a half-inch deep from the rest of the wall.

It's hard to see in photos, but you can see how far away the wall is from the countertop backsplash here. (The unseen parts of the backsplash on either side are fairly flush with the wall.)

I know if I start installing tile that the wave in the wall will create issues, lead to a strange layout, etc. Can I just "float" the valley of the wall with some tileset to build it up?

The wall is also exhibiting some separation of the top layer. It might be plaster. I know I'll need to remove this before adding any adhesive. Can that be done on the bare surface underneath? Attaching photos of both the loose plaster and what's underneath a removed smoke detector. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Unread 07-26-2021, 07:03 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Tom.

You're certainly gonna want to remove any loose plaster before you do anything else. For the patching and flattening for a kitchen backsplash, you could use some setting-type drywall compound. You really don't wanna try that with thinset mortar. Not only is that not what the mortar is designed for, it's also gonna be very difficult to work in your situation.

If you use the setting-type drywall compound, I recommend you get some listed at at least 30 minutes working time. You get to fooling with the 15 or 20 minute stuff and it's easy for a beginner to get in trouble.

And if you use that compound, which is gypsum based, some folks will recommend you then prime the wall before setting your tile with thinset mortar.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2021, 11:32 PM   #3
TomT29

Thanks, CX. By priming, you mean use an underlayment primer like Mapei over the portion built up by the joint compound? Or over all the walls? Will thinset adhere to the joint compound directly?
Unread 07-28-2021, 06:53 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nothing that exotic (or expensive) required. A good PVA paint primer is often recommended. You can get such in Kilz brand at your local home center.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 07-28-2021, 08:25 AM   #5
TomT29

Got it. Thanks for the advice!
Unread 07-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #6
TomT29

One follow-up: Would you suggest any particular brand for the setting-type drywall compound? I've seen DuraBond suggested elsewhere on the forum, but I don't think it's stocked in my area.
Unread 07-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #7
ragtop69gs

Any plaster or drywall joint compound will work, do not use topping, it'stoo soft. Be sure yo scrape back all of the loose plaster top till it is tight to the wall, many times it will yun several feet before you cant scrape any more off. Repair what you scraped offsand then seal with at least 2 coats of oil based Kilz or BIN.

Patriot Guard Rider
http://www.patriotguard.org/

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

"We have been doing so much with so little for so long, pretty soon we will be able to do everything with nothing."
ragtop69gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2021, 11:37 AM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

"My area" would be more meaningful if you'd add a geographic location to your User Profile, Tom.

Depends upon where you shop. Homer carries USG (the former USG) products, including the Easy Sand joint compound.

Unread 07-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #9
TomT29

Got it! Updated my location. Thanks again.
Unread 11-20-2021, 11:55 AM   #10
TomT29

Ready-Mix Mastic Not Drying Under Backsplash?

Working on a kitchen backsplash tile job. (My first.) Used a Mapei pre-mixed adhesive with some 2x4 subway tiles. After noticing one of the tiles was cracked, I wanted to replace it. (Haven't grouted yet.) I expected a struggle and possibly some drywall damage, as the adhesive had been curing for 48 hours, but it came off without much of a fight with a hammer and chisel. Underneath, the residual mastic felt a little damp/moist, so it hadn't fully set.

I know pre-mixed is not optimal, but because it's a non-wet area and the tiles are small, I thought it would be acceptable. All of the tiles seem set firmly in place and not mobile under hand pressure, but I'm concerned there might be more damp spots underneath. Is there a way to facilitate drying? A box fan and some air movement? I'd really prefer not to pull up the job, especially if it's just a couple of areas. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Unread 11-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Tom.

It'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
...some 2x4 subway tiles.
These are 2x4-inch tiles, or 2x4-foot tiles?

Can you give us a link or the exact name of the pre-mixed product you used?

Unread 11-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #12
TomT29

Thanks, CX. The tiles are 2-inches by 4-inches. The product I used was Mapei Type 1 Mastic seen here:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MAPEI-Type-...Gallon/1183453

On the Lowes site, a Mapei product representative seems to indicate I might want to wait a week or two. This was in response to someone else's question on drying time:

"There is no average drying time for Type 1 mastic. Mastics such as Type 1 take considerably longer to dry than the traditional cement-based thinset mortars (the ones that require mixing with a drill). This is because these types of adhesives dry by exposure to air, not by chemical reaction, as do their “cement-based” counterparts. As a result of that, you may not be able to grout for several days – and in some cases, much longer – depending on the time it will take the adhesive to air dry...wait before grouting, could be a week or two, to allow evaporation to occur, thereby allowing the mastic to gain its strength."

Does this seem like sound advice? I think if I begin to rip away at the tile, I'm going to inevitably damage the drywall. I've got no problem waiting a couple of weeks if that will resolve the issue.

Last edited by TomT29; 11-20-2021 at 12:47 PM.
TomT29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

You are fine with just giving it time to dry.

Are the tiles practically impervious porcelain or are they absorptive ceramic? The absorptive-type tile speeds in the drying process. If you’re not sure, a picture of the back of a tile will likely help us tell you.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #14
TomT29

The tiles are ceramic.
Unread 11-20-2021, 01:22 PM   #15
TomT29

The back side:
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase