Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 07-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
claycarson
Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance

Anyone near Boston want to quote this commercial job?

Folks,

We do a fair amount of commercial tile 'maintenance', which includes repair, cleaning and regrouting. Sometimes we do regrouting of quarry tile in commercial kitchens.

Looked at one recently in a senior living community , a suburb just north of Boston. Floor was much cleaner than a typical restaurant and much more 'wide open', not cramped compared to most.

It's roughly about 1700 sf of hand reachable quarry tile 6x6 with hatchmarks. When I say hand reachable, I mean I told them we don't include disconnecting gas lines and moving ovens. He said they will have a plumber do that. So if they move a lot of stuff, it could add a few hundred sf.

The current grout is in decent shape mechanically, not crumbling or failing or excessively recessed. Their issue is cosmetic. Now it's a very light color, like off white. As anyone with more than 2 minutes of experience knows, that is a very hard color to maintain 'looking clean', even if it is in fact clean.

I gave them a proposal to do a sort of skimcoat with synthetic grout and only grind where it was very high and old color would show through. But now they want a full regrout proposal with Spectralock, specs I got by email today say:
  • All work to take place from 8PM – 5AM.
  • Work completed each evening to be protected with a cover (Cardboard or plywood) so kitchen operations can resume each day.
  • Surrounding equipment and counters to be protected from dust and dirt while work is in process.
  • Grout for this project is to be Laticrete SpectraLOCK epoxy base grout #24 Natural Grey.
  • Install in accordance with grout manufacturer's recommendations and ANSI A108.10.
  • Protect floors in oven and fryer areas for 1 week after completion.

I've used that Spectralock commercial version before and it really didn't need the extensive floor protection, but might as well include it.

Let me know if you'd like to bid on it - we probably won't bid and will just stick with our alternate original quote. I'm happy to get you the contact info you'll need to bid the job.

www.tileboston.com
claycarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
not sure if 108.10 includes Epoxy grout.
Unread 07-28-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not sure? I'm reasonably sure you're actually reasonably sure it does not, Eric. And I'm reasonably sure you're correct.

Wonder why they'd specify it that way.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
claycarson

Wellllll....mine best guess is they did the old copy and paste routine and never looked it up.

We've had architects who specified some unusual stuff, called them and asked if they're sure that's what they want. Response was "Oh, is THAT what we specified for the tile? We've been copying and pasting since the 1950s. .I never looked at it before!!"

I'd assume if that spec is off that they still want the Spectraloock, though.

www.tileboston.com
Unread 07-29-2020, 04:50 AM   #5
claycarson

Also, this is coming from the facility management directly, it's not part of a major renovation that an architect is managing. But they have the opportunity to take the funds from the capital budget as opposed to the maintenance budget.

Capital budget compared to maintenance budget:

Godzilla vs. Bambi....

www.tileboston.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase