Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Found usc_block_11 empty, added this: [CODE] [/CODE]
Sponsors

Old 11-08-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
Wordbrew

Anyone interested in helping me with my bathroom reno adventure?

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. I thought I'd hung out here long enough to know what's what, but as life likes to teach you the hard way, I'm quickly learning I don't know squat.

I won't bore you with the background too much aside from the fact that what started as a simple "refresher" has become a whole renovation due to an unexpected mess for the old subfloor (rot in the old t&g, portion of sub missing entirely, another portion crudely cut up 3/4 plywood nailed down).

Upon removal of the subfloor, I found that my joists consist of 2x6 boards set 16 oc, ~10-12 feet long, doug fir, good condition. When I go on the trusty deflecto calculator, I'm getting a deflection of just L / 144. Thumbs down for all tile. WTF.

What I'm not getting is how the previous owners were able to maintain a ceramic tiled bathroom for nearly 15 years in good condition. No grout or tile cracks. Just was a bit outdated for my taste. At L/144, I'd assume that should not be possible.

I'm in a 1940s home, raised foundation. The bathroom is center of the house, just 8x5 in size. The joists run perpendicular on top of at least two beams with foundation footings. Could that be helping to stabilize and minimize the deflection?

Long story short, I'm trying to figure out what I can do to make my floor more hospitable to tile. I'm already planning to block the perimeter edges and add staggered blocking between the joists to help reinforce it some. Anything else I might be able to do to help get my rating better?

To make matters even worse, I've got a height issue, so 3/4 plywood puts me equal to the hardwood flooring in the hallway leading up to doorway. My original plan was to put 3/4 plywood sub with a 1/2 underlay. Now I'm not sure of that even. I was going to try to settle for 3/4 plywood with a decoupling membrane (like Schluter ditra), but with the mini-joists underneath, I'm not sure it would make any difference.

I have a photo of the joists, but can't upload yet. Four joists run through the room. One joist is actually cut short in the section where the tub used to be. There's literally nothing in it's place, but at least the prior owners sistered it with another cut off, shortened joist.

Thoughts? Am I doomed to have laminate or shag carpet in my bathroom for all of eternity?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:11 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Chris.

I'd go with the avocado green shag. You'll need an oil painting of Elvis to go with that.

Starting at the beginning: joists are measured by the longest unsupported span. So if they're 12' feet long, but have a support halfway through, the length measurement is actually 6'.

The species and grade are also important, so get those three pieces of information together (you already have the spacing) and give the Deflecto another run at it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:12 AM   #3
Wordbrew

Oh man, talk about being stupid. That put me from L/144 up to L829! Thank you for correcting me on that.

Considering my plans to still reinforce some of the area, I wonder if I might be able to get away with a single 3/4 plywood. Or am I tempting the tile gods too much with that?
Old 11-09-2018, 01:11 AM   #4
Kman

If your joists are 16" on center, you could certainly install over a single layer of 3/4" plywood. Just make sure it's tongue and groove, installed with the face grain perpendicular to the joists, and has a face grade of A, B, or C.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
Wordbrew

Perfect! Thanks so much for the help. I feel at least one aspect of the remodel is going to go smoothly now. Plumbing is another issue entirely.

I will be sure to update as I move along with the entire process.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase