Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Kuebes

Deflecto Question (I Joist)

Hello...I am looking for some advice on deflection. I have to lay pocelain tile on a kitchen floor in a Hopscotch pattern (12"x12" and 6"x6"). The subfloor is 3/4" plywood. It has "I" Joists that are 24" apart. the longest span is 10'.

Can I lay 1/4" durock (thinset and screwed) then lay this tile or should I install a layer of 1/2" plywood as well as the Durock? I tried the deflecto tool but it does not have an option for "I" joists.
Thanks for any advise you can give. I tried searching for a similar post but could not find.

Mike
Old 04-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
bbcamp

Mike, our deflecto tool works with sawn lumber only. The I-joist manufacturers have their own ways of calculating the deflection ratings, so it's best to find out who made yours and as their tech support engineers. We have a few links to some of the bigger players' span tables in the Liberry. A word of caution: read the fine print! Lots of qualifications and modifiers there.

As far as your subfloor is concerned, more plywood is needed, but I don't think your choice of backerboard will work. The backerboard folks have been slow to embrace joist spacings wider than 19.2". However, Ditra can be installed in your situation. They require 3/8" plywood over 3/4", so you can save about 1/4" of height in the process.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Kuebes

Thanks for your advise Bob. I will do my research.
Mike

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase