Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #1
otob18

Curb and Water test issue

Hey guys, I hope you can help as I have never done a shower install before and I have a couple of issues.

Let me start by saying I laid a 3/4 plywood in the shower area over the subfloor.
I made the curb out of 3 2x4's using construction adhesive and nailed to the subfloor.
I made my pre-slope using Quikrete sand/topping mix and sand sloped at 1/4 inch per foot.
I then siliconed around the drain flange and covered the pan including the curb with the PVC membrane.
I bent and attached the wire mesh over the curb and nailed it to the front along the bottom of the curb and covered it with Quikrete mortar mix

Now the issues are

1) I have a few voids in the finish of the curb. (see attachments)

2) I forgot to do the leak test. Can I still do it even if the mortar curb is in?
Name:  20211203_180818.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  32.5 KB

Name:  20211203_180732.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  20211203_180646.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  25.9 KB

Name:  20211203_180811.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  33.8 KB
otob18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Marcel.

On one end of your curb I see some dam corners, but apparently you didn't allow your membrane to extend across the face of your jamb and I can't tell what the inside corner is attached to. On the other end of the curb, there is no membrane on the jamb and I don't see any dam corners there at all. That is one of the most critical areas of waterproofing in your shower and one of the first points of failure in that type of shower receptor.

1. I wouldn't worry about those voids. You can fill them as you set the tiles on the curb.

2. Yes, but you'll need to make allowance for the mud curb. I would recommend you fill the receptor to the level of the top of the waterpoofing membrane over the top of the rough curb (which we hope is sloped to drain) and make a mark at that level. After a couple hours, if you've lost any water, I'd make another water level mark and base your test from that mark. Your mud curb might have sucked up a bit of your water 'till it reached its saturation and you don't wanna mistake that for leakage.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
otob18

Thanks for the reply CX.

The inside corners fit between the 2x4's and tucked in nicely at the back of the shower. The front corners were folded over and tucked behind the pan liner. Yes, you are correct I did not affix any dam corner attached. Can I attach more membrane over the dams above the curb using the proper adhesive? Any possible fix you can suggest? I am planning on installing a marble sill after. Yes the curb is sloped towards the pan.

2) I will do that
Unread 12-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

All I can tell you is how I do my showers that are over plywood.
1. I notch the studs about 1/8-1/4 inch to allow the liner recessed back a little. This lets the CBU (if that's what you're using) hang straight down without bulging out.

2. I set the drain so I have 3/4 inch of preslope mud at the drain. I add felt paper and lath then add the preslope mud making it flush with the bottom flange.

3. I slope the top 2x4 that's on the curb, that will slope the liner. I then install the liner adding a solid bead of silicone on top of the bottom flange, then clamp the top flange down with the bolts.

4. I then glue the corners in place at the curb. I then add another piece of liner (say 8 inches square) that drapes over the pan corners and glue it in place.

I would have used fat mud on the curb, I don't think the topping mix is considered fat mud. Will it work? I don't know. If you used Masons mix, it should work fine.

If you want to fill the voids, you can lay a straight board on top of the curb along the edge, force a thin layer of thinset mortar in the voids and add more mud. The thinset needs to be wet when you add the mud. Once the mud is set good, do your flood test.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
otob18

Thanks Davy for the reply.

I feel I followed most of what you did except notching out the front studs of the pan.
I wish I would've done "I then glue the corners in place at the curb. I then add another piece of liner (say 8 inches square) that drapes over the pan corners and glue it in place. I may try gluing a piece front the liner over the dam at the curb at both ends.
Unread 12-03-2021, 08:05 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Not sure how much good it would do to add a piece of liner to the mud. It really needs to be glued to the pan liner. What Cx said, this is critical and is where most leaks start.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 12-03-2021, 09:44 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

A proper "fix" for your situation will, unfortunately, require removing the mortar from your curb. A look at what your liner looks like in those corners would then tell the best method of dealing with those corners.

I really do think it's worth it. But, then, I don't hafta do it, eh?

Look at it as a perfect opportunity to make a new curb without the divots you have in that one.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

In this shower, the liner wasn't installed correctly. Lots of damage in the sub floor and joists. See the marble is discolored at the curb.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 12-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I knew there would be wood damage, I didn't realize how much. This shower was 7 years old.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase