Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
good-life

full gut job?

Im gutting a 4x4 enclosed shower (3 walls) 8 ft high and installing schluter kerdi shower kit and tiling the shower ... how much would you charge? I live in toronto, canada ... also where is the cheapest place to buy the kit?
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I have a hunch this thread will be on the move.
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Troy,

When it really comes down to it, most pros base their prices on time. If you're in a high-rise condo and it's hard to get access to, it's going to take more time to do the job than if I were to do your neighbor across the street who has a driveway I can park in. If you have stone tile, it will be more than a ceramic tile. If the tiles are tiny or huge, that will affect the price. If the walls are dead plumb and in-plane with each other, that will affect the price. If the job has extensive demo or minimal demo, the price will vary. If there is a lot or little prep work, the price will vary. In other words, prices on a job unseen are useless. You might get someone to say they install tile starting at $2 per sq/ft or $5 or $9 or whatever....But they are just base prices without any number of details (some listed above) incorporated into them that will dramatically alter the price.

At this point, most folks push ahead and insist on a "broad range" to give them a general idea. Well, I've seen showers this size go for as little as $800 on craigslist and I've seen them for $9,000. You really, really need to get a few estimates from local folks with decent reputations to get a good idea of price.

We love to help folks on this site. It's a bummer that prices are one of those things that are just too tough to do over a forum like this without a lot of detail, pictures, and back and forth dialogue.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase