Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-02-2021, 07:18 PM   #61
chrishmm69

Question - Im now at the point where I cant "back up" to a wall anymore, so I need to kneel on previously laid tile to install the last couple courses that butt up against a wall.

How long do I need to let the previous course set before its OK to kneel on it? I finished the last one I can do "back to the wall" at about 7PM tonight. Can I kneel on it at about the same time tomorrow? (i.e. 24 hours set time)

Thanks.
Unread 12-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #62
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, I'm certainly not the kinda guy who is gonna tell you you should never have gotten into that situation, Chris, but, really, you never should have gotten into that situation.

The 24 hours would be the absolute minimum time before you want any foot traffic on those set tiles, but if you're still using the VersaBond as your setting material, that time should be adequate. You're still gonna need to be very, very careful working over those new tiles, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2021, 07:14 AM   #63
chrishmm69

haha I guess its too late now!

Looking at the layout I couldnt really figure out a good way to NOT make it happen. I was worried if I tried to start at each wall and meet in the center, that it wouldnt meet nicely in the center and any wavy grout lines or odd spacing would be really visible.

The wall Im backed up against is mostly hidden by cabinets and appliances, so I figured if its not perfect its not a huge deal because you wont see it.

I will just wait until tomorrow afternoon and tile 2 courses at once. More time for the one I need to kneel on to set, and if I can do 2 at once (at least the length of the wall that I would be trapped by), I can limit the exposure of the course I have to kneel on.
Unread 12-07-2021, 07:49 AM   #64
chrishmm69

Finally close to getting all of the floor tile down. The "full length" courses are done, so now its just about 2 tiles per course and then I can move onto grouting (after cleaning the tiles, grout lines and letting it all set for a week or so)

Looking forward....backsplash. We've chosen a backsplash tile that is marble, and has a pattern of some very small "cubes", along with subway-ish size tiles, all on a mesh backing (pic attached).

The last time I used a backsplash with small pieces, the best way to get them to look even was to first adhere the backsplash pieces to Kerdi, and then install the Kerdi to the drywall. Is that still a valid way of doing it? I used that process in a bathroom where waterproofing was necessary, but in our kitchen I dont think I need the waterproofness. BUT having the "cubes" off-kilter would bother the living heck out of me, and Im not sure they would stay perfectly in place if I just installed the tile directly to the drywall.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by chrishmm69; 12-07-2021 at 07:59 AM.
chrishmm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #65
cx
Moderator emeritus

Is your concern with the difference in backing material or the difference in the orientation of the backing material, i.e. vertical rather than horizontal?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #66
chrishmm69

My main concern is keeping those small cubes aligned while the thinset sets up.

The mesh is small, but the cubes are barely bigger than the squares in the mesh so I foresee them popping off (some already have) while I set the tiles.

If I put those cubes in by hand, will they stay perfectly in place while setting on a vertical installation?

I was thinking it would be easier to install each sheet of backsplash to a piece of Kerdi on a flat horizontal surface, where it would be easier to control keeping everything lined up perfectly while they set.
Unread 12-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #67
chrishmm69

I have a grouting question:

The tiles (rectified, porcelain) are somewhat matte in sheen and have a slight texture to them...kinda like wood

Should I look at applying a grout release product beforehand?

I plan on using Spectralock 1 grout.

Thanks.
Unread 12-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #68
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I've never used SL1, but I'd be concerned that it might not play nicely with a grout release. Perhaps the installation instructions will cast some light?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #69
chrishmm69

The instructions actually mention using a grout release or sealer if the tile is porous (not sure if it is), textured (kinda), or natural stone (not)

I dont want to use a sealer because I dont want to change the sheen of the tile. So it would be a grout release or nothing at all. I may try a small section in a hidden area without the release to see how it goes.
Unread 12-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #70
ss3964spd

If the tile is glazed, Chris, a sealer is unlikely to change the color since it won't be absorbed - it'll just sit on the surface. Same with the release.
Unread 12-17-2021, 08:46 AM   #71
chrishmm69

I cant 100% tell if they are glazed or not.

Some info about the tile (not a lot, unfortunately): https://www.cereuro.it/upload/catalo...ti/14/WOOD.pdf

Ive attached pics of a couple scraps, top surface and bottom surface and side shot...the colors look slightly different top and bottom but the side shot seems to be consistent across.

Still not sure if glazed or not. I figure if they were sealed, a drop or two of water would just sit there on them....would glazed react the same way?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by chrishmm69; 12-17-2021 at 08:51 AM.
chrishmm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #72
ss3964spd

Exactly what I was going to suggest; put some water on them, wait for a few minutes, wipe it off. If they are glazed you shouldn't be able to where the water was, if unglazed the tile will be darker where the water was.
Unread 12-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #73
chrishmm69

Easy enough. Water drops remained in the shape of drops, wiped off with a towel and left no trace behind. Ill call them glazed.

Looks like neither sealer nor release will be necessary. Thanks!

BTW....is your screenname a reference to a Chevelle? Avatar pic is too small to tell if it is (and what year it is). I am a "Heavy Chevy" fan.
Unread 12-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #74
ss3964spd

An Impala, Chris, a '66 SS big block (396) 4 speed convertible. Numbers matching when I acquired it. Now has a roller cammed 489. Still with the original M20 and 12B posi 3.31 rear though.

Have always like the Heavy Chevy's, pretty rare these days. Nice to see them instead of the much more prolific SS's.
Unread 12-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #75
chrishmm69

Nice!

My dad was (still is) into the Corvettes of the era. One of our big projects was a complete frame off restoration of a 1972 LT-1 Corvette. I was 9 years old, torqueing down suspension components

I like the Vettes too but prefer something with a back seat so I can take the kids for rides too. Someday! But for now the only "project car" I have is the darn kitchen.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase