Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
KarenA01

Pandemic effects on Bathroom remodels

I have question for the Pros about the effects of the Pandemic.

I was just about ready to start getting quotes from contractors for my remodel last March, but the uncertainly of my job and worrying about having people coming in and out of the house (we are over 65) made up was put on hold.

I am not posting this on that thread as this is not specific to that remodel but, a more general question...

We were think that once we got the two vaccine shots it and developed immunity, we could get started on it...

BUT I have been reading stories that because people have been at home, and not spending money, those who kept their job have been doing LOT of home improvement.

That combined with the shutdowns here and around the world, has greatly constricted material supplies, causing long unpredictable lead times and HUGE price increases. Also contractors are VERY busy and have huge lead times because of it (And so likely charging more too!)

The articles I read talked a lot about lumber and deck building etc, but said the same things are going on with all home improvement, and particularly with imported materials (base title was planted to be Italian, and the accent from China).

On line I can see the accent we intended to use is of stock. and I don't know about the regular tile.

Have you guys been seeing these types of issues with availability and price? Are you booked into teh summer or later already?

Significant price increases would certainly affect what we had planned to do ...

After reading those articles, I am wondering if maybe it might be best to wait for another year or so, as prices might come back down... though the bathroom (and some other things with the house) REALLY need to be dealt with as they are in bad shape.

So what have you pro's actually been seeing out there?

Thanks,
-Karen

Last edited by KarenA01; 01-21-2021 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Typo
KarenA01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-22-2021, 10:53 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Karen, We saw a shortage of some materials a few months ago but it wasn't too bad. I've talked to carpenters that couldn't find lumber to build walls, etc but they now tell me it's about back to normal. Others might tell a different story.

I usually stay booked up a couple months anyway so that hasn't changed. My prices have stayed the same for the past year and a half.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
KarenA01

Thanks Davy!!!

I was starting to wonder if anyone was going to reply, because after I posted the question, I realized it might be a touchy subject for some pros.

Hopefully there will be a few more responses to get bit more data, but if your experience is generally true, we will get started getting quotes right after we get fully immunized!

-Karen
Unread 01-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I do mostly remodel work and most homeowners don't seem to be worried about the virus as much as they should. They usually stay on the other end of the house while we are working in their bathroom. I don't wear a mask while I'm working, maybe I should.

The contractors I talk with are pretty busy.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Karen, construction materials have forever been a bit cyclical. Wood products, especially, of one kind or another become scarce only to magically appear in quantity again. We've seen periods of drywall shortages and fiberglass insulation shortages. Doesn't require a "pandemic," just usually some economic shenanigans.

Pricing for both materials and labor rise and fall with the economic times. One year you can't find subcontractors to work on your projects, the next year they're calling you every week looking for work. It's a boom and bust world.

I'm just really glad I'm not actively participating in it right now.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
Lou_MA

You retired CX?
Unread 01-22-2021, 04:20 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Trying to be, Lou. Some of my old customers have a bit of difficulty with the concept, though.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #8
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

We have gotten back to normal in the last few months. Occasional extra week wait on some material but nothing drastic. Local economy is quite strong right now, we have things lined up into the fall and realistically should be covered through the end of the year because things always fill in and we aren't needing much to get there.

Pricing is up my in my area, too much work and not enough bodies to do it.
Unread 01-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #9
speed51133

In my experience (US's largest bathroom and kitchen exhaust fan manufacturer), there was a big lull from late march through about June. After that things really picked up to better than last year pre-pandemic.

Everyone stuck at home decided to do upgrades, at least those not financially ruined. DIY projects were up as well.
Unread 01-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Karen,

I've tried to be retired for ten years now, but I build things around my place in Central Texas. I have noticed that not only are they shortages of certain lumber sized, but the price of construction lumber has just about doubled. I had a metal roof installed on one of my buildings a couple months ago, and the contractor told me that the price of his materials was increasing at about 7% a month.

I haven't done any tile work in quite a while, so I'll listen to what the other guys say about that.

P.S. There is no retirement, CX. Forget it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2021, 11:03 AM   #11
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

I have never had so much work and inquiries. I live in a market to 2nd homes to wealthy folks who are now using their weekend homes as full time homes and those that have chosen to abandon the big city life for country life. Folks who write a $1 million+ check for a home and wave any inspections as there will be a bidding war if they hesitate.
They all respect the safety protocols of Covid and allow us to work like "gentlemen and women without the usual contractor ontop of one another. We charge a fair price and we don't play lets make a deal.
There was a shortage of lumber a few months back but there is ample supply now. Of course that sheet of plywood I used to pay $22/sheet is now $42!
We are booked out until late August. Any person in this trade with a good reputation is gold right now. I cant even get my friends to help me cause they are slammed with work. Oh to be 20 years younger with the knowledge I have now.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2021, 05:35 PM   #12
KarenA01

Thanks all,

It sounds like there are some regional differences, but in general things are pretty busy and prices are likely to be up for material and labor is scarce, and for some things significantly so.

Since I am not rich, and there is a signifiant likelihood I may be involuntarily "retired" soon, it does sound we might be better off waiting until things get back to more "normal" in terms of both supply and demand..

The greater Boston area was expensive to begin with!

Well maybe once we get immunized I will get some quotes and see what they look like...

The house needs a lot of other things done, and if we wait too long we might need to go to a nursing home before we get everything done!

I appreciate the feeback
-Karen

Last edited by KarenA01; 01-23-2021 at 07:42 PM.
KarenA01 is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase