Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
jeunic

Grout dried too light

Hello,
I just went on and saw the posts that are dated 2 years ago about the laticrete grout and drying too light, but there were no final answers as for what actually worked and what to do. I put the laticrete on yesterday and it dried very light grey instead of dark. I am going to try the 50/50 water to white vinegar today. What else can I do after that if that doesn't work. Does a sealer work or not? DO I need to tint the grout? Do I need to scrape some out and do over with a darker color? NEver had this problem with all the other types of grout I have used!! Very upset wthis morning to see the state of my kitchen backsplash. Help! Thanks.
jeunic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Hello jeunic <--- is this a first name we can use?

There are some stone enhancers that will darken cement based grouts, but you will want to try it in an inconspicuous place first. Custom Building Products (and there is probably others) makes a product to change the color of the grout. I'm not too impressed with it, but its an option. The other option, like you mentioned, is to remove the grout and start over. Removing grout is not one of the funnest things to do but with some patience and elbow grease, it will all come out. I would suggest removing all - at least 99% of - the grout versus just a top layer. The new grout will adhere better.

Unread 03-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
jeunic

Thank you

Thank you for your input Juan. I will take a look at those. I would really rather not dig all the grout out. I noticed other people had problems with this grout and with exactly the color I chose. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone again.

Anne
jeunic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Anne, if the grout is fairly new its a little easer to get it out now then waiting a few weeks and it cures even more. Just something to think about.

What kind of grout did you have? How big are the grout lines? And what kind of tile?

Unread 03-28-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Anne,

Only waiting a day before you try the vinegar is too soon. You need to wait closer to a week before using it, as it is a mild acid and the grout needs time to cure.

And we do need to know some details like Juan asked. If you have a natural stone with a nice polish on it, the sheen could be permanently damaged by the acid. That wouldn't be an easy fix.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase