Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-14-2021, 07:49 AM   #1
Darel

Applying 100% silicone OVER Lexel?

Long story short, I installed a new acrylic bathtub and tiled the walls.

I used Lexel between the tub and tile. I chose this for a couple of reasons, but mainly because this is my only bathing facility in my 1-1/2 bath house, and we've already been showering with a garden hose in the backyard for two weeks, and I found a handful of references around the internet where people had issues getting silicone to stick to acrylic, so I had to go with the product that was guaranteed to work the first time, because the family doesn't have time for me to gamble on being one of the .00001% for whom it didn't stick and I'd have to redo it, adding days to this project.

So the Lexel is SO clear I don't like the fact that I can see the gap between the tile and tub. I did a pretty good job getting it nice and straight but it still looks unfinished.

SO what I was wondering, is would it be possible to go back now and apply a bead of 100% silicone color-matched to the grout over the top of the Lexel? Or would it not stick?

This isn't an end-of-the-world thing, just trying to neaten up my installation.

I tested it on a tile scrap and I'm waiting for it to cure but even that test wouldn't tell me what would happen a year or two down the road.

Thank you!
Darel
Unread 03-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Same bathroom that's getting the stone baseboard, Darel?

I've never used, nor even heard of, the Lexel product, but reading the advertisement and specifications, it appears to be advertised for use in your application, but is not tested in accordance with ASTM C920 for joint selants, so you really don't know how it will act in an application that is specifically to provide movement accommodation.

I can't say whether a 100 percent silicone sealant (which I wish you'd have used) will stick to that Lexel product or not.

The sealant in your application is cosmetic only, so about the worst case you can end up with is an unsightly joint material. But you apparently already have that, so what's to lose, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
Darel

Yup, same bathroom.

The Lexel is really sticky and flexible. Feels just like silicone. However on my test piece, the silicone didn't stick at all so it is what it is. I definitely wouldn't say it's "unsightly", I'm just a bit of a perfectionist. Thanks!
Unread 03-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
SpaceCadet

If I remember correctly, lexel sticks to lexel. It comes in white and I think other colors. Why not use that?
Unread 03-14-2021, 10:42 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I would do a test to see if you can clean out the Lexel using a combination of physically cutting away a bulk of the material, then using mineral spirits, a white non-woven scrubbie pad, and a bunch of patience to clean it off.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2021, 07:12 AM   #6
Redlands Okie

Lexel is more adhesive and flexible than silicone in my experience. The only color choices I am aware of are white and clear though. Will White work ?

It is paintable and seems to hold the paint really well. Instructions say wait 2 or 3 days before painting with a latex paint I think.
Unread 03-15-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
Darel

White should work. I'll go that route. Thanks!
Unread 03-15-2021, 06:32 PM   #8
speed51133

I have used lexel for escutcheon plates. I like it because it is so clear. I ha e had to remove the plates and then use silicone as it was handy. I had no issues. But I did scrape it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase