Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
Brassaw

Introduction & shower pan question

Hey folks. I'm a remodeler in upstate NY. I've been doing more and more tile jobs, and between a couple schluter workshops and a ton of reading and online research, I almost feel like I know what I'm doing.

I did a backsplash for a customer recently, and while I was there, they asked me to look at some loose tiles on their shower curb. The walls were denshield, placed down in the mud bed. The bottom 4 inches or so of gypsum had just melted into slime, and despite the shower having not been used in a few weeks, it was still wet and nasty. The curb had also been wrapped in denshield, so there were nails all over where they shouldn't be. And the usual liner issues, leaking at the curb ends, studs weren't trimmed, etc. At least there was a pre slope. Noble proslope. Which was installed upside down... I'm not sure that impacted its functionality, but I did laugh when I flipped it over and read, "this side up" on the bottom.

Anyways... they're getting a new shower. I'm planning on using goboard for the walls, because of the price and local availability. I'm leaning towards a mud bed and kerdi drain/fabric on the floor. (Also locally available, but not cheaply :P) Does anyone here have experience or knowledge using kerdi with goboard? I'll probably give schluter a ring Monday just to see what they say. I'm assuming a manufacturer warranty is out, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm thinking I can lay a bead of goboard sealant at the edge of the kerdi (lapped up onto the walls 2", of course) just to make certain.

Thoughts/concerns?
Thanks, Dan
Unread 12-27-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
rmckee84

Will it work? Most likely, but you'll get 0 backing from Schluter. I frequently mix manufacturers but I also know how each works with the other.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Things go best when you use one manufacturer so you're sure things are compatible. Fully understanding how things interact can lead you to maybe do a hybrid, but that is fraught with potential gotchas, if you're not intimately familiar with how things all interact.

The TCNA guidelines have lots of various methods, any of which will work, IF you have good workmanship and understanding.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
Brassaw

Thanks for the feedback! I know I'm unlikely to get an exuberant green light on a hybrid, that's why I was hoping someone had done something similar, and could offer their experience.

I'm trying to keep the job cost reasonable, as this was an unpleasant surprise and expense for the customer. A traditional pan would be cheaper material-wise, and in line with TCNA specs, but more labor. I also like better the idea of a surface waterproofed shower pan that dries quickly, but that's more just personal preference/opinion. Kerdiboard is fantastic to work with, but is quite pricey, which is why I was leaning towards goboard.

I guess for peace of mind, I could just drywall and kerdi the whole thing, but its roughly 90 square ft of wall, and that adds up fast as well.

Meh, guess I'll have to think about this one. I can maybe sell them on all kerdi with the warranty. They're a new customer, and I'm still trying to get a read on what their focus is, and expectations are.
Unread 12-28-2019, 12:21 AM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Dan.

2 cents of advice:

My experience has been to offer the right/approved/standard method to the customer. You know...something that is basically guaranteed to work if you install it to specs. They’ve always appreciated that. It might be tempting to try offering a cheaper version...but let the customer be the one to choose that fork in the road rather than you initially offering it.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome Dan.

You could also offer them both, with explanations/disclaimers/pros and cons of each, and let them decide.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase