Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-26-2005, 01:17 PM   #1
mrjetskey

polished marble or synthetic Help please!

I don't know exactly what to call it,but in our bathrooms we have a heavy marble sink top with 2 molded in sinks,also garden tub with surround ,both made of this.It is polished and now after 16 years needs to be repolished,not all as we took good care of it ,no abrasive cleaners,etc.I believe it is called man made marble.Could anyone offer a suggestion how to polish it and what type of polish,medium.I have both orbital and concentric,buffers.any help is appreciated.Thanks in advance marvin.
mrjetskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-26-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The stuff isn't that hard, you can treat it like hardwood, although you 'd probably want to go up to a much higher grit if you want it really shiney. For things like granite, they often go up to 3000 grit. My unprofessional opinion. NOte, though, that some of these things are not the same all the way through, so you could run into problems by taking off anything. I'd consider using the random orbital sander, assuming you can find the higher grits you need. My unprofessional opinion.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
trecile

Sounds like you have "cultured marble". I believe that the finish on it can be restored by having a new gel coat put on by a cultured marble dealer.
Unread 02-27-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
mrjetskey

thats what it was called cultered marble even shower pan is made of this,it appears to be about 1 3/4" thick with the sides showing the same pattern as top.So there is nothing I can polish it with?I used to use gelcoat on sea-doos,boats and this doesnt really look like gelcoat.But I could be wrong .I just didnt want to mess it up or pay a outrageous fee for something I myself could do with tools I have.I thank you for your suggestion and I will call and get a pro to do it. Have A great Day!!!
mrjetskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase