Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 10-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
markwhy

Need Advice - Polished Marble Restoration

I have a relatively new polished marble installation. Two problem areas have happened. In one area, someone spilled a puddle of lemonade on it. In the other, my daughter threw up on it. In both cases, we cleaned it up quickly, but now we can see an area where the shine is gone from the marble. There is no stain or discoloration - but the shine is noticeably gone.

Is there a remedy for this problem?
markwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
ckl111
Home Builder

Quote:
In the other, my daughter threw up on it.
Been there. When my son was 18 months old, he threw up in the front foyer. Being a new parent at the time, we cleaned him up first and then the floor. That's when we discovered the huge mark he left on the marble. No discoloration but you could see the loss of shine from an angle. After that happened, if anybody was watching us, they would have thought we were abusive parents. The kid can sit in his own puke...we're cleaning the floor first.

I had a pro come and rebuff the floor around the area. Looked brand new afterward. You may be able to try buffing pads and polishes yourself but you won't get the same results as a restoration pro who uses the large floor buffing machines.

BTW, was the marble sealed? Sealers may not be able to prevent all stains, especially the two acids you mentioned, but they should be able to lessen the damage.

Last edited by ckl111; 10-03-2008 at 08:41 PM.
ckl111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
Best thing would be to get a stone restoration pro in there. The stone has to be refinished. If the loss of shine will bother you in future (it will happen again, I promise ) you might want to consider asking the resto guy to hone and enhance the marble. It will give you a satin sheen and etches will be less obvious.

There is no product on this planet that will "make the marble harder" or give it a "permanent shine". You also will not want the guy that will polish the marble with liquids and other chemicals. They use a process called "crystallizing" and that is very, very bad for the stone.

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Mark, Welcome!

While I agree with the others advice, this is a DIY forum. Do you know what kind of marble that is etched? Is the etched surface smooth or bumpy (like the skin of an orange).

Are you handy? Do you have access to an orbital sander? Are you willing to take a chance to pursue this project?

There are some products that you can try, but I'd like to get more information from you before I recommend them.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
markwhy

I don't know the type of marble. The etched area is smooth and is not discolored, it just looks like it lost its shine. It was professionally sealed after the installation.

I'm willing to DIY, as long it is not too complicated.

The areas affected in both cases are about 2 to 4 inches in diameter. They are not very large areas, but just annoying enough to try to improve. They may be small enough that it isn't worth the time of a professional.
markwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
ckl111
Home Builder

If you don't know the type of marble, can you post a picture of it or at least try to describe it?
Unread 10-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

It is complicated and takes a great deal of practice. Watch a couple youtube videos on it,search the web for polishing pads.Alpha has a set that might be good for you,then find a piece of your marble and practice.... http://cgi.ebay.com/Marble-Tile-Rest...QQcmdZViewItem

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
MICK1

My suggestion is for you to hire a pro, after you use the marble polishing pads,
you have to use some oxalic acid, and if you have are not familiar with the use of it ,you can damage more the floor, (Burn it-orange peel) and you may etch
other part of the floor.

Mick
Unread 10-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
stevemo
restoration guy

another option

If you dont want to hire a restoration professional, another option is to purchase an etch remover. Although this wont make the morble look "good as new", it will atleast lessen the obvious. If your local stone supplier doesn't have one, you can purchase through hard rock tool. The product is a cream that is applied with a damp cloth. As you work the cream, a polish appears and lessens the etch. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

Let me know if this works.
Steve
stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Mark

All great info being given.

I suggest you try something like Aqua Mix Renue. No machines or pads necessary. However you will need some elbow grease. Since the area is so small, it won't hurt to give it a try.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase