Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #211
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Well I finally set the last three tiles on the center support of the better bench this morning. Now I wait about 48 hours and then grout this lower shower beast and the floor and be done with tiling except for the kitchen backsplash grout. I believe it's been about 70 days since I started but I didn't work on this everyday or full-time but still I don't know how you guys can make money it took me two full days to just do my bottom two rows.

Working under a better bench is a pain in the butt I think I would have to charge $1,000 to install a better bench and $1,000 for my niche. I'm looking at my post I noticed I still have to install the bottom glass waterfall so I guess I'm not done yet
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 08-06-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #212
Elkski

Got the glass up with difficulty. The laticrete bag was in the sun. Mixed it a bit stiff and thought ok I only have 1.5 sq foot to do. But that was like spreading peanut butter. I did use cold water but it didnt matter that stuff was setting and unusable in 60 mins.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #213
Radas
Tile Newbie

Bench turned out nice. I'm glad I didn't go with the better bench, didn't realize you had to tile underneath it too....

I would have lost thousands of dollars on my shower if I was a pro over the course of 6 months, it takes a gifted individual to churn out quality tiling in a short timeframe.

Grout lines and layout look great, looking forward to seeing the final result.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #214
Elkski

No you do not have to tile the bottom is just smooth aluminum. But it is no fun tiling the back wall under a bench that's only about 14 inches high.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #215
Elkski

well my tile is all installed in the whole bathroom. I do need to grout that last sq ft of blue glass still. My question is about the ceiling shower head. my arm drops vertical but my ceiling is sloped about 10 degrees. 2"/ft. I cant find a flange or escutcheon that can accommodate this angle.

Also are there any online places to order a framed custom sized shower door? its 26.5" x 83" and my latest estimate is 895$ i swear many things in life are priced not at cost but at perceived value and collusion.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #216
Radas
Tile Newbie

You can make a jig or trace out the footprint of your 1/2" shower head pipe @ that angle and use a Dremel to shape an escutcheon. Another option is to have one machined for you at a local shop or notch aluminum plate using a tubing notcher set at a 10 degree angle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #217
Elkski

but make it out of what material? I have considered using some SS sheet I have here but It needs depth. IT is way up there so not real noticeable as long as I have the tile hole covered.

I have another question.
I am looking to mount the Grohe shower bar. IF I Screw into a stud it will be like 2" off of the drain center but more centered between the bench and door.
OR do I use the molly;s and just go for centered.. Either way I need to review some pictures to watch out for plumbing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 08-13-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #218
Elkski

I found a sheet metal brushed nickel eschuteon that can handle the angle and looks ok to me.

I've turned on hot amd cold water today and no leaks that I know of. Bidet toilet temp controlled sprayer working ok. I do have one issue with my diverter valve. The extension housing turns with the valve. So does the eschuteon. I may have to call Grohe. There is an O-ring between the eschuteon and extension. Maybe it will be okay if I silicon the eschuteon to the tile. I do have the extension way out. Only 3 turns of threads engaged. I need this for it to extend out enough for the eschuteon to grab.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #219
makethatkerdistick

Teddy, I ruminated getting a bidet attachment like you have. I decided to get the "Genie Bidet" for $80ish instead. If you're curious, look it up. It's my favorite of the non-electrified bidet seats. Works fantastic with two nozzles comfortably actuated by a tilt lever. My wife LOVES it, too. If you like your hose attachment, that'll work as well, of course.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:00 AM   #220
Elkski

Tap water is a little chilly here 9 months of the year so I wanted temp controlled.
I've traveled quite a bit to Southeast Asia the last few years and these hand washers are pretty much standard in every public toilet or any condo or anyone's house. I have stayed in a condo with bidets with the little sprayer arm that comes out front or back depending on which button you press but I am not a fan of anything that's permanently under everyone who uses the toilet. I looked at this design and when the arm was extended it came out of a plastic housing that had the typical yellow funky colored growth like you would expect. These parts were actually probably all under $80 even including ordering the special gaskets to seal the IPS fittings that I ordered from a racing website. But this low cost temperature control valve needed all three male threads filed for an hour. As well as the on-off valve which actually looks like it's handle is in line on when it's off. Not too many people could have made this conglomeration leak free but I consider myself decent micro hobbyist with a very good close eyesight.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 08-14-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:12 AM   #221
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I can't tell what I'm looking at there, Teddy, you have a hot and cold supply going to that valve?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:38 AM   #222
Elkski

I mounted the temp valve on the hot water stub out. and that is cold going in. Standard plumbing was a big zero help on any parts for a system like this. The hand sprayers are sold as diaper washer sprayers. You can get these temp control valves for under 25$. rotate the knob to change temp. it reads in C. Many people are using them for mixing solar water heaters I understand. In my opinion this valve and temp controller had to many manufacturing defects to sell to a big store so they are sold online now. I have lots of machining experience and I can say the manufacturing process had some serious issues with cutting the threads as well as the casting looks sketch and thin on the on off valve. I also saw vastly different colors in the brass casting when I was filing the threads so they would work. lots of lead in thread issues . They come with 1/2 G threads or IBS or straight thread. Kind of a British thing. not exactly the same angle or thread as NPT but close enough for inlet hoses and shower hoses. Mating to NPT under full pressure requires an adapter G1/2 to NPT. The G 1/2 fitting seal on the face so you need a good gasket and not an o- ring that will squish out but a metal ring with a raised gasket in the center.
IT sure seems to work ok as a temp controller.

I should say I spent like 10 hours or more researching for all the parts for this as well as fixing the threads. Just going cold would have been so much easier. or just planning to hop in the shower that gets hot in 20 seconds from being near the H2O heater.

Last edited by Elkski; 08-14-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #223
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Ah, so the cold water is coming from a tee on the other side of the toilet.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #224
Elkski

Yes cold left. I didn't like the brass 1/2 inch nominal compression to pipe thread fitting but that's all I could find locally. This little black handled valve on off valve was the only one I could find that was pipe to pipe thread. The Chrome 90 came from Thailand and is a little sketch wall thickness but the chrome finish is nice then there is an adapter from pipe to IPS or IBS or g 1 / 2. Then I needed one of these special metal ring sealing washers. I spent at least an hour filing all three of the threads on the temperature control valve specifically the one so that the threads would go all the way in so it would compress that gasket. Once you try these little hose sprayers it's kind of hard to go back to only toilet paper. In many asian countries the sewers or septics cant handle paper products so they have an open trash bin for used toilet paper and sprayers like these.

I did consider making a bracket to mount the temp control valve on the wall which would have been a little easier as I could have used all flexible hoses to connect to it. It's kind of odd it doesn't come with any mounting tabs or anyting
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 08-14-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #225
Elkski

Well I called Grohe about my diverter valve 29712000 which is very sticky to operate due to the little brass extension parts o-ring that contacts the inside wall of the extension tube with lots of friction. Even when the O-ring is lubricated it's like the surface finish is too thick for the design. Sometimes I think these Amazon parts are somehow inferior products. But I got an O-ring same wall thickness but smaller diameter stretched over the brass extension piece that now fits nicely but Loosely inside the extension tube so that the tube does not turn when you turn the valve. My thought and tech support confirm that this o-ring is just there for support not Sealing because this is all external to the valve and has to do with the trim pieces. Tech support was actually worthless because they would not admit that they have any problems. I used to design o-ring sealing surfaces like this so I think I know what I'm talkin about. I'm also quite used to using lubrication.
Speaking of which all female guests will have to take a mandatory shower operation course.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 08-14-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase