Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 05-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
CSS

Help me out here. subfloor drawings specs ?

Alright guys I've been looking and I just looked right over it or in the wrong place. I need a drawing, spec's, documentation about subfloor. Particular that you DO NOT want to install tile backer directly to sawn cut boards. That a layer of ply is REQUIRED. I have looked in asni and tcna book 2010 volume and have found notta. I am having trouble lately with competetors not installing ply and stating not needed "im just trying to upsell them" they say
im loosing out and so is the customer because they get 2 or 3 guys saying its no problem then I tell them they need to spend more money to ad ply first. I know one of you have something for me. Thanks either way.
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Robo, the easiest way to deal with that argument is to invite the other side to show you where the manufacturer of the CBU approves its installation over a sawn board floor.

None do.

And the manufacturer's instructions always prevail over any other instructions or standards.

If the customer is still willing to accept the installation in clear conflict with the material manufacturer's instructions.............you lose. And will never win.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Dave Gobis
da Man!

It is in ANSI A108.11 and the TCA method. If you need more APA has a tile section I could email you.

4.4 Subfloor
4.4.1 Place 19/32 in. (16 mm) or thicker plywood, with Exposure 1 or Exterior durability
classification and meeting the minimum requirements of local building codes and A108.01
Paragraph 3.4.1.2 — with the long dimension across the wood or steel joists spaced a maximum
16 inch (406 mm) on center. A ¼-inch (6 mm) bead of construction adhesive shall be applied to
the center of the top of the joists.
4.4.2 Position plywood and fasten to steel joists with screws as specified by steel joist
manufacturer. Locate screws not more than 6 inches (152 mm) on center along panel edges and
12 inches (305 mm) on center at intermediate supports.
4.4.3 Fasten to wood joists with 6 d ring shank nails located not more than 6 inches (152 mm) on
center along panel edges and 12 inches (305 mm) on center at intermediate supports.
Dave Gobis is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
CSS

Thanks to you both. I will use manufacture installation guides and use ansi code references also. I would be interested in the APA version also. I love my documentation. It makes it alot easier for the customer to accept things they can read not everyone want to take the word of a 40 year old kid whos method costs more than the other options.
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

So Dave, do you know all the ANSI codes and numbers off the top of your head, or do you have to actually look them up?

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

He knows a few of'em, Levi.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

Quote:
Levi said,
So Dave, do you know all the ANSI codes and numbers off the top of your head, or do you have to actually look them up?
I am going to guess that he knows the ones broken the most pretty well.
tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase